Chapter 47

I sit and pick at my food, while my grandfather continues with the conversation I have long zoned out of. It's taking everything in me to hold my composure and sit this close to him. I wonder how he sleeps at night knowing he got his own daughter abused by her husband. Is fortune more important than family? Was he that desperate for an heir that he went to great lengths to get me?

"You've already caused trouble after being back for a couple of hours," he laughs at the statement, "I hope you understand everything is for your safety, not to keep trapped in this place,"

I nod, "I understand. I just went to meet with Olivia anyway. I don't understand why that would be such a big deal," I take a sip of my water, washing down the white lie.

"I just want to make sure you don't get hurt again. Who knows what trouble you might get yourself in. I rather lose a guard than my granddaughter," he places his hand over mine, and I try hard not to flinch, "You look different than the last time I saw you. More confident and stable, Evangeline,"

My hand curls into a fist and I move it out of his hold, "It's Tempest. Why do you insist on calling me Evangeline when I told you I don't like it," I wipe the back of my hand against my joggers, hoping to get his touch off.

Gramps smiles, "I named you that. You were good news, you are good news. The child of my firstborn, the future of the Moore name. Though I was upset your mother had you at such a young age, I was proud to be a grandfather to such a beautiful girl,"

I almost gag.
How can he sit there and act all sentimental while knowing he ruined the better parts of me? I swallow the lump in my throat and bite the inside of my cheek. I lost all will to finish my dinner.

"I prefer to be called with the name my mother gave me. She was the only family I had, you know," I turn to him, "She went through so much for me, the least I can do is have people call me by the name she thought suited me,"

He gulps.
I hope guilt is eating his insides. I watch him wipe his mouth and push the plate away. Guilt and nervousness are easy to read on a person. The atmosphere changes into something heavy and tense. I can carry the weight in my hands if I wanted to.

I'll never forgive him for this.

I push my chair out and stand, "Well, I am tired and need to unpack. Good night," I give him a pitiful smile, examining his tired old face one last time. There are more wrinkles than when we first met two years ago, hair is almost fully grey. His face used to be full, but now is becoming thin and pale. Time is catching up to him.

"Tempest," he says. There is a long pause as I wait for the words that follow. "Nevermind... Rest well,"

Coward.
I nod and walk off to my bedroom, steam practically fuming out of my ears.
I close the door and lock it, sliding down against it. I pull my knees against my chest and lay my head on my knees.

Hot tears flow down my face.
No matter how much I try to convince myself that everyone deserves what's coming for them, I hear my mother's voice in my head. Her kind heart forgave so easily, and she would always tell me how forgiveness was the best revenge. She was so humane. too good for this world.

I lay on the ground allowing tears to pool on the floor.
Tears that will never bring her back. Tears that will never heal the bruises or take the hits.
What did I ever do to deserve such a horrid life?

I close my eyes and allow the last drop to fall.

"Miss Moore, breakfast will be ready in fifteen minutes" the intercom blares.
I open my eyes to a view of under my bed.
I sit up and look around, realizing I fell asleep on the ground. My joints pop as I drag myself off the cold floor, and head to take a shower.