Never Yours

I can't tell how the three of us ended up outside in the backyard. One second I was in a bedroom unable to move as though glued to the ground, the next one Keenan, Ethan, and I  were running to the forest, trying to escape the inevitable, but suddenly Ethan's hand tugged me to a stop. I turned to him, my eyes wild, trying and failing to understand why the hell we are stopping. Behind me, Keenan angrily whispered "What the fuck?? We have to go!"

I tried to get Ethan moving by pulling his hand but to no avail. He stood there very still, sadness written all over his face. But I didn't care. I just wanted to get the hell away from the raging monster, still screaming my name somewhere in the streets. I pulled Ethan's arm again.

"Eira." His soft, almost sorrowful voice made me stop. "You and your brother - go." Not understanding a thing, I tried to pull him again, but he freed his hand out of my grip, took off his backpack, and outstretched it to me. Mechanically, I grabbed it. Ethan was not going with us. And then, I understood. I knew exactly what Ethan wanted to do.  I couldn't make myself say a word.

"You'll find money, fake IDs and plane tickets, and everything else you will need. I'll find you when it will be all over.'' Now, his voice was flat. His face turned to stone, free from any emotion.  It made everything even worse.

''What the actual fuck, Ethan??" I basically screamed, even forgetting the killer near us, finally being able to form words. "Can't you just tell your pack members to attack and kill him or something? We can't do this without you" I begged. My last words were barely a whisper, but I knew my exertion was futile. He won't go with us.

"He came with four other packs, Eira. If at least one of my men tried to do something, we are all dead. I must do this myself.'' He turned around, then faced me again and looked me in the eyes, his pupils wide and full of raw emotion yet again. He couldn't keep his stone-cold mask anymore. "I hope... I really hope that after everything, we will be able to meet again. In different circumstances.'' He smiled at me, sadness reeking from him. 

I can't let him go. I can't lose him.  

''Now go. I will distract them and finish everything. Take these keys, you will find my car behind those bushes.'' It looked like he wanted to do something else, to reach for me, but I couldn't do it. I couldn't say goodbye. I couldn't leave knowing that will be the last time I see him. And then I made my mind.

I looked down, not being able to face him. ''Thank you for everything, Ethan. Thank you.''
For a second, I wanted to go and embrace him, to show him how thankful I was. But with relief in his eyes, he turned around and dashed to where Ronan's shouts could be heard. It was too late now.

I turned to Keenan.

''Brother, listen.'' He knew I was deadly serious. I never called him ''brother''. It was too formal for us. But now, I wanted to say this word loudly. Just in case it was the last time. ''You must go and take this car. Go straight to the airport. I will meet you there.'' I couldn't describe the look he gave me. He looked dreadful, to say the least. I never wanted to see him like that. It felt like I physically hurt him. I guess I looked exactly the same when Ethan made me stop.

''No, Eira, what the actual fuck?!''

''Keenan. I'm a werewolf. You are not. Our mother is not. Find our mother'' I begged him. 
''I won't let you leave. Not again.'' There were tears in his eyes. My cheeks were wet too. I loved my brother with all my heart, but I knew it was the only choice.  I knew what I had to say to make him leave. It broke my heart, but it had to be done.

''Leave now, or I will shout. And he will come and take me again. And I will never escape. You know he will find us, he always does. Let me finish this once and for all. Trust me, brother.''