Found One

A/N

It's been a while. I'm sorry. These days I just can't seem to find the willpower to write. And I do not want to write this story just because I have to. I want to put a little bit of my heart and emotion into every chapter I write. And today was the day I finally wanted to do it! I hope you'll all enjoy it!

Lots of love,
J
.

xoxoxoxoxoxo

Eira

I was standing in the white cold again, bare feet digging in the snow, wind howling around me. It seemed like the whole world was frozen in ice. Someone was standing near me – I turned my head and saw a stranger looking in front of himself.

No, not a stranger. Ethan. He was looking forward, eyes fixed on someone I couldn't see. He didn't fit here, in this cold. He meant to live somewhere in warmth.

Then, another figure appeared – tall, white hair and icy eyes. Ronan. He, on the other hand, fit perfectly well in this world. Cold, harsh. Nefarious.

Ethan turned his head towards me. His orange eyes held no threat. He looked... Frightened.

''Run, Eira.''

*****

This dream was haunting me for a week now. I knew that it was most likely from me being restless and anxious all the time, but it still frightened me. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, all I did was pacing around in my room, trying to figure out ways to get rid of Ronan and not risking Ethan's life.

No matter how hard I brainstormed, I couldn't come up with a better idea.

The days went by and all I wanted to do is to take my brother and run away from here, from this beautiful city, from all of this mess, and especially from Ronan. But I knew that wasn't a possibility for me. Ronan would hunt me down wherever I was, so I had to stay here and make sure that the monster will come here where Ethan could end him for good. It was frightening, but it had to be done. It was the only way.

I felt unsure about all this. Why would someone want to save me? Why would Ethan want to literally risk his life for me? I knew it was not just saving me, it was all about revenge, but I was not used to people helping me out. I have always dealt with my problems myself.

And Ethan risking his life... It made me feel selfish. 

I hated it.

So I paced and paced like a caged tiger, restless and anxious.

Someone knocked at my door. And as always, my first thought was that this was it - Ronan was here. But just like for the last week, it was Ethan, coming to cheer me up.

''Come on, dress up. We are going to explore this town.''

I didn't want to go, but I knew that sightseeing will distract me and at least for a few hours I won't be drowning myself in fear. So without a second thought, I pulled my boots on, grabbed a coat and we headed outside.

*****

The town was compact and cozy, with a river flowing in the middle of it, so there were few bridges crossing it, connecting both sides of the town. Now, Ethan and I were crossing one of them to get to the other side. Ethan wanted to get us both coffee.

''You look terrible'' Ethan finally said after a long silence. I didn't mind the quietness. It didn't feel awkward or uncomfortable. In truth, everything felt so easy with Ethan. However, his words woke me up from this strange tranquility I was in for the last fifteen minutes.

The peace was gone. Reality hit me again - war is coming.

''Do I?'' my voice sounded small and tense. I felt even worse than I looked.

''You're pale, you don't eat, you pace in your room day and night... You don't let me sleep with all that walking back and forth'' he said with a forgiving smile, his orange eyes gentle on me.

Great. I'm bothering Ethan. I don't want to bother him...

''I'm sorry. The anticipation of Ronan attacking us... I can't manage it. I try to be optimistic, but all I can think about that he will come, he will slaughter everyone here, he will take me back to that horrible place and torture me even worse than he did before.''

Long silence again. Ethan didn't look at me this time. He walked, looking forward, chin up.

''You think I won't be able to protect my pack? You think I won't be able to protect you?'' Ethan tried to sound cool and uncaring, but I heard a note of sadness in his voice. He thought that I didn't trust him, that I didn't believe in him.

But it was not him that I didn't trust. It was Ronan that I trusted. I knew him all too well. I trusted with all my heart that he will do anything to get things the way he wants. And now, he wanted to cover this town in blood.

I looked at Ethan, my eyes stinging a little. I won't cry...

''But he always wins, Ethan. I tried so hard and every time I was punished. I think I just am used to him winning. And I'm so tired of him winning.''

Finally, Ethan looked at me again. He stopped, taking my arm for me to do the same. Then, he gently put his palms on my cheeks, wiping tears that found a way to escape with his thumbs.

''This time he won't.''

*****

Eira...

Eira...

EIRA...

I came to slowly, sleep still controlling my body. For the first time here, I passed out as soon as my head hit the pillow.  Our walk was long and it wore me out a little. Or maybe it was something else. Maybe I didn't want to think about all the mixed feelings that boiled in me. 

It was still dark outside, the sun not visible just yet. My room was empty, the house was quiet. So what woke me up? I was just ready to go back to sleep when something caught my attention. Something coming from outside.

Then I heard it.

''EIRA!''

The low voice was now loud to hear, but it was not near the house yet. I knew that voice. It brought dread and fright to my body. It brought nightmares. It brought pain. 

No. I was still dreaming, right? It can't be real. 

''I KNOW YOU'RE SOMEWHERE HERE, YOU TRAITOROUS BITCH. I FUCKING FOUND YOU.''

The voice was a little closer this time. And it was Ronan. He's finally found me. As always.

The voice was animalistic, filled with hate and anger. I couldn't move. I tried to get up, but my body was frozen in fear. One two three...

The room door opened up with a bang. I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. I didn't want to see him coming to take me. Just like that time in my apartment...

''Eira, we have to go, now!''

But this wasn't the monster's voice. I made myself open my eyes. Ethan was standing in front of me, with panic in his eyes. But there was something else in them too. Fire, burning bright, making Ethan's eyes shine red. He was ready for his revenge.

''I CAN SMELL YOU, YOU FILTHY WHORE.''

He was near. So I stood up, pulled a sweatshirt on, grabbed Ethan's outstretched hand, and then we ran.