The Lesson

I felt like shit. I didn't get much sleep last night, strange dreams waking me up every few hours. And damn, I was not excited about the hunt at all. My mind went wild every time I thought about it, but even though the possibility to escape was tempting, I had to remind myself that I wouldn't make it far. Ronan will definitely keep a close eye on me, not trusting me enough to let me run freely. I will most likely be stuck by his side the most of the hunt. Besides, there will be hunters with us too. What's the point of trying to run? 

The monster sleeping next to me stirred. Well, it begins, I guess. He let out a sigh and sat, looking in my direction. I buried my nose deeper into the pillow, relaxing all my muscles. I just hope he will go to the bathroom or wherever and I will be able to get ready without him groping me or some shit.

To my relief, he stood up and went to the shower. As soon as I heard the water running, I jumped out of bed and dressed as quickly as possible. I didn't want to stay in this room any longer, I wanted to just walk out, but I knew he would be mad if he won't find me waiting for him like a good little mate. So I took a deep breath, opened the bathroom door, and, looking at my feet all the time, I made myself speak ''Uh, I'm going to the kitchen to help the girls with breakfast, okay?''

Ronan grunted in approval. Ok, bye, I hope you'll slip and split your skull open. With that comforting thought, I slam the bathroom door shut, open the bedroom door, and basically jog down the stairs to the kitchen, eager to see Hanna. 

She's standing near the counter, cutting some fruits, her hair as always braided in a French braid. I say hello to the girls and go straight to her. ''Here, let me help you''. I pick up the knife and start cutting mangoes. The blade is sharp - it easily cuts the flesh of the fruit and I can't help but remember the crescent wounds the monster's talons left on my hips. I remember all those bruises on my wrists, stomach, and neck... I didn't dare to look in the mirror these days, afraid of what I'd see.

Blood starts trailing down my fingers. Shit. That fucker messed with my head so bad I can't even cut a damn fruit without my arms shaking. I close my eyes in frustration. I'm not used to my body doing this stuff to me. It feels like I lost control over myself. And damn, I hate losing control. And, thanks to my dear mate, it happens quite frequently these days.

Hanna's hands take the knife away from me. She doesn't say anything and I am grateful for it. I would most likely tear up. She handles me a towel to clean the blood, a sad smile on her face. ''Come on, let's finish this'', she says, nodding towards the fruits. ''And Eira... You are not alone in this. It feels like you are, but you are not.'' I pick up the knife again, nodding my head to her.  She's right. I can do this. For my family, for Keenan. My hands don't shake this time.

*****

The excitement is almost palpable. I don't understand this, it's just some animal hunting and eating them when they're still warm to satisfy our inner wolves, that's it. So what's with all of this buzz? Males are talking loudly, pushing each other, testosterone reeking from their skin. I roll my eyes for what feels like the millionth time. Can't these people be at least a little more civilized?

To my disappointment, Hanna is not allowed to come with me. Her mate lectured her about how dangerous it will be for her and he cat let anything bad happen to her. Hanna's eyes were puppy-like, full of love and submission. She was nodding her head to his every sentence, ready to fill every one of his wishes.

Jesus fucking Christ I hope I will never get this brainwashed like her.

I turn to the girl near me, who's putting her hair in a ponytail. I try to ask her about all of this mess. ''Why is everyone so heated? It's just some stupid animal hunt.'' She gives me a strange look. ''Girl, haven't Ronan told you about it? We're going to hunt some rogues and take them down. Every once in a while they try to cross our lands to hunt for animals, steal supplies, and stuff like that, but we won't have this. It's our land. Patrols reported that they saw a few of them in the woods, so we are going to have some fun'' she says, smiling widely. She looks like she was waiting for this for a long time. It's disgusting.