Freedom

We ran. 

As soon as Ethan saw the determination in my eyes, he shifted to his wolf form and disappeared into the woods. I wasted no time and followed.

Ethan's wolf was a huge black beast, almost as big as Ronan's. The black color suited Ethan well. But it wasn't the time to admire him. We had to concentrate on our escape. So we ran as fast as we could, avoiding clearings, crossing streams and creeks to mask our scents. With each passing second, I was ready to hear Ronan's men running behind us.

After an hour, we reached the road and Ethan stopped. There was a man, standing near a car. My first thought was that we were caught. But as the strange man came closer to us, carrying some clothes in his arms, I understood that he was one of Ethan's men. 

Ethan shifted back, quickly dressed up, thrown some clothes in my direction, and discretely turned around, giving me privacy to change. Then, when I was done, he opened the car door and hurried me in. Not wasting a second, we tore off south.

We drove for what felt like hours and with each passing mile I was more and more anxious that Ronan's men will catch up with us. The Grand Meeting must have ended by now. And Ronan must have found a cold bed and his Beta lying unconscious outside.

He will be sending an army to find me.

But as the hours went by, the night has finally turned to the morning and I could finally make myself relax and take a deep breath. I got out. Once again, I was free.

But for how long?

I knew that Ronan won't stop looking for me. He won't give up. He will drag me back to his horrific pack and I will once again be his prisoner. He will use me, my body again, this time forever locking me up in his room. There will be no escape anymore.

Unless I will kill him.

But he was stronger than me. Faster, more cunning. He was a better fighter than I could ever be and I knew it. I tried to kill him before and failed miserably. I will never be able to get rid of him.

And what about Ethan? He knows the consequences of stealing the alpha's mate. Ronan will come to spill his blood for what he's done. And no sane person would want to fight with Ronan... 

I was awakened from my thoughts as the car has suddenly stopped. Ethan turned to me, his eyes bright.

''We're here.''

*****

I was expecting deep woods and dark houses. I was expecting eeriness and cold. But I definitely wasn't expecting this.

A small town was in front of me. Its main street, made from light cobblestones, snaked between small cozy shops and cafes, townhouses lining one side of the street and shops - the other one. The town itself was built tightly, making everything look homey and inviting. I could see children playing in parks and playgrounds, shrieking with laughter, people going about their day, sitting on the benches, and just talking with each other.

There was no noticeable structure or some kind of a regime that I was used to seeing in Ronan's pack, no one rushed. It was calm. Peaceful. And I couldn't see at least one human.

I turned to Ethan, not actually believing what I see. ''You guys built a town for werewolves here?'' I asked, incredulous. He only gave me his famous feline smile, looking straight forward. ''Something like that''.  With that, he took my hand and started walking, taking me with him. ''Come, I want you to see someone.''

We headed towards one of the townhouses. It wasn't a big or luxurious mansion I was expecting Ethan to live in. It was a townhouse like anyone else's. As we went, no one shied away from us, no one bared their necks in respect. People only smiled at him, nodding their heads, greeting him in a friendly manner.