Finding Betsy - Chapter 9

A shard of light slipped through a gap in the curtains as the sun began to rise. Groaning, Betsy rolled over and snuggled into the warm body beside hers, the duvet pooling around their waists. It was too bloody early. Yet, as the comforting scent of Nick filled her nose, she sighed and tightened her hold on his waist. Nick chuckled, his chest jumping up and down beneath her cheek.

"Stop it," Betsy chastised with her eyes still closed, slapping a hand against his firm chest.

"Good morning to you too." Nick replied before his warm lips pressed to the top her head.

Snuggling closer, Betsy peeled open her eyes and tilted her chin up. She loved him like this. Rumpled and comfortable.  Her hand lifted from his chest to rub at the course stubble which had formed on his cheeks before trailing upwards with a frown. Even in the dim light, she couldn't miss the puffiness beneath Nick's bloodshot eyes.

"What time did you get in?" Betsy asked, an small smile appearing on her lips as he turned his head and pressed a swift kiss to her palm.

"Two." Nick replied, his rough with sleep. "The Giannopoulos men certainly like to talk."

Betsy's brow lifted. "I didn't realise you were going to be seeing Markos."

"I didn't either until the last moment." He replied.

As his muscles tensed beneath her cheek, Betsy caressed a hand over his chest, her fingertip playing with the smattering of hair there. "Everything okay?"

Nick stewed in silence for a minute before finally muttering ,"Markos is stepping down."

Betsy sat up abruptly, her hand stilling on his chest. "What?"

"And he wants me to take his place? Nick, that's amazing. You're getting everything you wanted." She leaned forwards and pressed an enthusiastic kiss to his lips. But when his response was less so, she pulled back with a frown. "Are we not meant to be happy about this?"

Dragging a tired hand down his face, Nick tilted his head back. After a few moments, he replied, "Yes. No. I don't know. It was everything I wanted yet I never really gave any thought to what it would mean."

"So explain it to me. They do say two heads are better than one."

His lips twitched up briefly before a frown slipped back into place. "If I take on Markos's role, it will mean more responsibility. It will mean I have less time for you and the kids. With running Davenport Enterprises and making sure I spend time with the kids, I'm not sure I have the capacity to take on anything else. What's that smile for?"

"You're getting yourself worked up over something which had a very simple solution." Betsy replied, pressing a kiss to his chest. At the blank expression on his face, she chuckled. "Really, Nick. Weren't you telling me just the other day how brilliant Tina is and how it is only a matter of time before she realises it? She's been with you for years and knows how things are done. You trust her - something you wouldn't get with a new hire. If anyone was ready to step up, it would be her."

"I'll concede on that point. Tina is ready for more responsibility. She's more than earned it." Nick said before letting out a sigh. "What about the press? We'd also get more attention. We've been trying so hard to keep them out of our lives, to keep our family safe, but this will make it like feeding time at the zoo. Do we really want to do that?"

"Nick, the press will hound us regardless. The more we try to keep them at bay, the more determined they are becoming," Betsy reminded him softly, resting her chin back on his chest. "You are who you are and they will be interested in your life whether you are the CEO of a global company or not. You're wealthy and attractive; you're the newspapers' golden ticket. Maybe Lady Bainbridge was right. Maybe it's not about hiding from them. Maybe it's about taking back control and putting out the story our way. I was reticent before but maybe this is just how we need to play the game. Maybe, with your PR team to help us, we can control how and when the stories are written. Regardless, don't be afraid of taking this job because of me. Whatever you decide, I will support you. You're stuck with me, Mr Davenport."