Finding Betsy - Chapter 18

How were there less than two weeks until Christmas? Halloween felt like it has only been a few days ago and now Christmas lights adorned every street, illuminating the city with festive cheer. His radio, which had been turned low, spat out Christmas songs one after the other. There were reminders everywhere of the looming presence of Christmas and he was wholly unprepared.

Nick ran his hand through his hair and pulled. The weeks since the vote had been nothing short of manic. Rather than causing a brief bout of uncertainty to his client base, Nick had people vying for his attention. There was too much work for one person - something he would be reluctant to admit out loud.

Yet it was the truth.

If it wasn't a business meeting with his clients, or being chased by Markos to discuss the formal handover, it was the press hounding him for commentary. As if to prove a point, Nick's phone started dancing across the desk, over and over again. A moment later

There had been a few occasions where Nick hadn't even made it home. Instead he had camped on the bed concealed in his office, too exhausted to manage the journey home. It earned him chastisement from both of the women in his life. Betsy he could understand. Tina should have been happy that he was so committed. It meant he met all of his deadlines even if he really would prefer to be anywhere else.

And Nick had never felt so exhausted. He understood Markos' works more than ever. There had to be balance or he would work his life away. And life was far too short for that.

Nick took a deep breath and pushed his files aside. He couldn't focus. Not yet. If he was going to step into Markos's shoes, there was one thing he needed to sort out. He could postpone it. Put off making the big leap until he was ready. But it was only delaying the inevitable.

Taking a seat behind his desk, he glanced at the clock. And, exactly on time, there was a knock on his office door.

"Come on in," Nick called, his hands folded before him on his desk.

A second later, his ever efficient assistant appeared before him. Her glasses were pushed up her nose, her hair tied back in an efficient bun.

"What can I do for you, boss?" Tina asked, stepping into the room with her trusty i-pad clutched to her chest.

"Tina, close the door and take a seat." Nick said by way of greeting, waving to the empty chairs.

She paused and raised a brow in his direction. "Uh oh, sounds like I'm in trouble." Still, despite her words, he noticed the frown as she complied.

"No need to look so worried," Nick immediately attempted to reassure her when he noted the furrow in her brow. "I promise its nothing bad. At least I hope its not bad."

He waited for her to take a seat, her tablet and notepad resting up on her lap. When she glanced up at him, he continued, "I suppose the outcome will all depend on your reaction really."

The woman's fingers tightened around her tablet. Still, in the way that he so admired, she tilted up her chin. "Well, you know me. I hate the waffle and beating around the bush so if you could just get straight to the point and make it as painless as possible, it would be appreciated."

Nick grinned. He knew who most of his staff by name out of necessity. He liked to know who he was working with. However, he could count on one hand the members of staff he counted as more than just employees. Tina was one of them. This no nonsense woman had been with him since the very beginning and had been browbeating him into taking care of himself and his business ever since.

"I can do that," He replied after a puse, lifting his glass to take a sip of water. He used the action to give him a few moments to collect his thoughts. Finally he said, "You will have gathered from the various announcements that there will be a lot of changes going on around her. And I am sorry I didn't clue you in beforehand. We've had a few leaks and this was the only way to ensure it remained hidden until the right time. I trust you but communication methods are not infallible."