Finding Betsy - Chapter 12

Nick hesitated at the threshold of his bedroom. After patting his pocket, he breathed a sigh of relief at the box still located within. He liked plans. He liked to be in control. Yet, as he glanced at his watch, he felt a knot form in his stomach. Somehow, he knew that things would definitely not be going to plan. Then again, that had been the story since Betsy had arrived in his life. She had come in and torn up the rule book. He was richer for it - even if it didn't go against the grain more often than not. 

"Are you ready to go, son?" Nick's father-in-law asked, striding up and patting him on the shoulder.

Swallowing, Nick nodded. "I am."

"Try and enjoy yourselves. I know this week has been tough for everyone but we'll take good care of the kids for you. And that new housekeeper of yours has promised to stick around and help with the baking."

"Good. Good." Nick muttered absently. Keys. Phone. Picnic basket is in the car. "Sorry, what was that?"

Greg just laughed and clapped the younger man on the shoulder. "You don't have to be nervous. You are both head over heels for each other."

Nick tried to smile but it felt like a grimace. Was it too warm in here? He tugged at the collar of his shirt and tried to ignore the sweat forming on his brow. It was just Betsy. And that was the problem. It was Betsy. She was everything and the thought of doing something wrong. The thought of scaring her off was just too much.

"Nicholas, you don't need to worry. She'll say yes." Greg said, using his hand on Nick's shoulder to guide him out of the door. "And Carol and I have been talking. If you do decide to get married, we would be okay with your girl adopting Tommy and Delilah. Francesca would have wanted that. My daughter had a big heart and she would have wanted those kids to have a family."

Nick's heart thudded in his chest and his throat suddenly felt tight. "Thank you, Greg." He choked out. "You don't know how much this means to me."

"I do. And I know how much it would mean to those kids too." He cleared his throat loudly. "Now, enough of this chat. She'll be waiting for you."

As they paused at the top of the stairs, Nick smiled at the woman waiting for him below. Betsy's hair was pulled back into a simple ponytail, several loose strands framing her face.  Her skin was free of make up and her clothing was warm and practical. At the sound of his approach, she glanced up towards him. 

Then she smiled. 

Just smiled and Nick was knocked breathless for a moment. She was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. 

Hurrying down the stairs, leaving his father in law in his wake, Nick pulled her into his arms and pressed an urgent kiss to her lips. Her hands grasped at his arms as she fought for balance. Her favourite perfume surrounded him and he held her close. Yet, despite wanting to deepen the kiss, he was all too aware of the eyes watching over them.

As they parted, Betsy sighed and tilted her forehead against his chest. "Hello to you too. That was some greeting - not that I am complaining."

"I missed you this morning." Nick replied, reaching down and tilting her head upwards so that he could stare into her eyes.

"You're getting sappy in your old age." Betsy nodded sagely before a chuckle escaped her lips at the indignant expression which appeared and disappeared from his face in the blink of an eye.

"You'll get pay back for that later."

Shaking her head, Nick's were wholly focused on her lips as they pulled up into a wicked smile. "Promises promises."