Chapter 13 - Finding Betsy

Betsy thought Nick was all out of surprises. The house had been a dream come true. Even if the interior still resembled a construction site, with bare plasterboard and wires from the ceiling, she could already see what it could become. She could see them raising Tommy and Delilah there. It felt right. And yet, when she had expected him to lead their horses back to the waiting car, he had instead steered turned them in the opposite direction.

As they came around an outcropping of trees, she shook her head in disbelief. "You didn't."

Nick grinned, "I did."

A large white bell tent had been set up on the grass. Fairy lights had been strung around the entrance, twinkling in the rapidly darkening sky. Before it, a table had been set for two, artificial candlelight flickering within a mason jar.

Nick climbed down from his horse and turned towards her. Before she could utter a protest, he wrapped his hands around her waist, gently lifting her from the back of the gentle natured mare and set her on her feet.

"Go and wash up in the tent and then take a seat at the table." Nick instructed before leaning down to capture her lips in a brief kiss. "I'll take care of these two."

Drawing away, Nick led the horses over to a small area which has been fenced off in a make shift paddock. Turning on her heel, Betsy stepped into the bell tent and sighed happily. The tent was different but yet it felt like their first date. The horses. The tent. And yet, the people they were now were so different. They were so much more. When she had met Nick, she had been a mess. Her marriage had broken down, she had lost her son, and her hopes for a baby.

While those facts hadn't changed, Nick and his children had given her hope for the family should could still have.

Avoiding the pallet covered in plush blankets and pillows settled against the far wall, Betsy hurried over to the bowl of steaming water on the far side of the tent. Rose petals floated in the steam filled bowl giving off a gentle perfume. Battery operated lanterns hung from the ceiling, flickering as if powered by a real flame. It bathed the tent in a romantic glow.

He did good.

Using the facecloth provided, Betsy quickly cleansed away the dirt of their travels leaving her skin softly scented. Feeling refreshed, she sighed and rolled her head gently from side to side in attempt to ease the tension in her shoulders.

Warm hands settled on her shoulders, confident fingers massaging the tight muscles until they relaxed one by one. Betsy's eyes fluttered shut before she turned on her heel and stepped into Nick's arms. Her chest pressed against the firmness of his body as he held her close. There were no words. They didn't need them. Betsy sighed. Everything had been so busy. It felt like these quiet moments were too far apart.

Soon after, they both settled outside in the last glow of the day. Dinner was an uncomplicated affair of sandwiches and fresh fruit. After slicing a peach, Nick lifted a slice to her mouth. Parting her lips, Betsy accepted the fruit, her tongue darting out to savor the sweet juice clinging to her lips.

"I'm glad we did this." Betsy sighed, leaning back into the chair with a contented smile.

"We can do this anytime you want. You just need to ask."

"That sounds nice." She replied wistfully before picking up a strawberry from the platter before her. She stared down at it for a moment, turning it between her fingers. "There was actually something I wanted to talk to you about, without interruptions."

Nick's easy smile slipped away. "What is it?"

"It's nothing to worry about. I just-." Betsy paused, her throat suddenly feeling dry. "I had a visit with the specialist this week. He said there had been no change. It's silly, a part of me was almost hoping for a miracle. But he confirmed it. If I get pregnant, I won't carry to term and if I try anyway, it will likely kill me."