Finding Betsy - Chapter 28

A part of Nick had wanted to be wrong. Unfortunately, his hunches were often right. It had helped him gain success. Instinct and hard work had led him down a lucrative path. 

But, this time, his hunch would break an old man's heart. Nick really did not want to break it.

Scrolling through another news site, his own face in various states of ambivalence stared back at him. The accompanying articles all had one thing in common - the announcement of his engagement. 

It wasn't wholly unrealistic that the news could have made it into the press organically. He conceded there was always a way it could get out. Yet, they had managed to keep the news hidden for weeks. 

The timing of the news was suspect - as were some of the details. While the press often liked to speculate on his private life with Betsy - as they had since their relationship first started - their accusations were always wild and clearly false.

This time, they were hitting far too close to the mark.

'A source to the pair has revealed billionaire Nicholas Davenport, one of Britain's most eligible bachelors, will soon be firmly off the market. At a gathering of close friends and business associates at their home in Kent, the loved up pair, confirmed they are set to tie the knot before toasting to a happy future.

The couple are yet to make a formal announcement. However, could this happy news just be hiding the cracks in the troubled relationship. Out source hinted this news is just to keep up appearances after the recent rumours which hinted at an illicit connection between the CEO and his long-time associate and friend -.'

"So full of shit." Nick grumbled, closing down the web page with an aggressive click.

"You've seen them then." Tina stated as she waltzed into the office before coming to stand in front of his desk with her trusty tablet clutched to her chest.

Nick nodded.

"You know that I -."

He held up a hand. "Tina, I know you have had no involvement in this. If you wanted to make my life miserable, you know more about my past than anyone else. You could have done it years ago." He raised a brow, his lips quirking upwards. "Besides, I like to think I am a good judge of character when it comes to my employees and, dare I say it, friends."

Tina blew out a loud breath before letting out a snort. "Over stretching there. You forget, I've seen you before your morning coffee."

"That's true."

"And Frankie told me a few stories about your time at university." She continued, tapping her chin with a smile playing on her lips. "Polka dot bikinis spring to mind."

Nick groaned and shook his head. "I was an idiot."

She waved her hand in response. "You were young and drunk. At least you were covered - sort of."

"Enough of that from you."

Tina grinned before nodding her head at the computer. "Did you want to delay the news of my appointment? With those articles, it may just add fuel to the fire."

Nick shook his head. "If I let every rumour or piece of gossip delay my business decisions, I'd still be working in that little office next to the chip shop."

His assistant wrinkled her nose. "I can still feel the grease in the air. We didn't even work in the chippy but the smell still found a way into every part of my life."

"But, they did have the best chips in town."

"If you say so."

Nick shook his head. "Your palate is a disgrace. How could anyone think we have a connection?"