Finding Betsy - Chapter Four

School run. They were two words Nick had begun to dread. He could handle a multinational business deal with ease. Putting stuffed shirts in their place and getting his own way had become just another part of his day. A part of his day he enjoyed.

The school run was something else entirely.

There was something about gathering dozens of parents on school grounds which seemed to regress some of them back into their younger selves. Or perhaps they still hadn't grown out of their playground cliques. It was uncomfortable and not in a good way. Nick had left school over a decade ago and he would prefer it remained there. If his children didn't benefit from coming to school, he would never step foot on the playground ever again.

Pulling the car up to the curb, Nick stared at the clock on the dashboard. Five minutes to go.

He glanced though the window at the playground beyond. There were dozens of parents clustered around in their groups. Nick's eyes drew towards a rather animated woman in a gilet and groaned.

"Anyone but her," Nick muttered, his fingers tightening around the steering wheel for a moment.

Switching off the engine, he zipped up his coat and reluctantly climbed from the car. Digging his hands into his pockets to ward off the cold, he followed the throng of parents onto the school premises. Hunching down, Nick tried to hide at the back of the group as they drifted towards the doors. The brisk wind continued its relentless tirade, allowing him an excuse to pull up the collar on his coat to hide more of his face.

Just a few minutes more-.

"Nick, so good to see you!" A shrill voice cut across the playground.

Closing his eyes in a wince, Nick muttered, "Fuck."

Every. Bloody. Time.

Blowing out a breath in irritation, he spun on his heel with his irritation hidden deeply beneath his mask. Just once he would like to get through a school run without that voice drilling into his eardrums. Today was not that day.

As the head of the PTA came to a stop before him, her cronies close on her heels, she flipped her hair over her shoulder. It was like school all over again. Her friends hung just at her heels in matching gilets, ready to laugh at her jokes and dole out servings of the condescension as deemed by the queen.

He'd seen it happen before.

He'd never forgive them for the way they had spoken to Betsy.

"Tracy, right?" Nick guessed when the woman continued to stand before him, her eyes peering up at him from beneath fluttering lashes.

"It's Tori," the brunette corrected with a pout. She placed her hand on his arm and leaned in with far too much familiarity. Her perfume was strong, burning his nose as she edged even closer. "I haven't seen you around recently."

"I've had business matters to attend to." Nick replied stiffly, stepping to the side and shrugging his shoulder to dislodge her hand.

Anyone else would have taken the cue. Even her 'friends' exchanged a glance and shifted uncomfortably. Tori was not so easily swayed. She mirrored his step away and lifted her hand as if to touch him once more.

Nick took another step back and folded his arms.

"Of course," Tori cooed, giving another flutter of her lashes in the process. "You're such an important man. And I was just telling the girls how well you're doing as a single dad."

"Thanks. But, as you know, I don't do it alone," he said in a matter of fact tone. He lifted his eyes briefly before continuing, "I think Liam is doing an incredible job."