Chapter 58 | found him

Hidden away in a 24 hour Internet cafe, it was almost midnight and you'd been running all day.

Maki and Boy slept leaning up against L, who was half asleep himself. He'd been up all week trying to get this case done, now he was exhausted. You on the other hand were doing a little research on one of the computers while you waited for Watari to come pick you up. Luckily you'd lost the cops for the time being.

What were you looking for? L's actual father.

When he told you that trauma memory a while ago, he said that his birth mother cheated on his birth father while she was in work in Japan.

So that means L's biological dad could still be out there, still someone out there in Japan. He might not even know he had a son.

Of course, Watari being the one who raised the orphaned L, and practically adopted him L definitely had a very deep father son-relationship with him. But knowing who his birth father was could definitely help him process some things, so you planned to try and track him down while you were in Japan.

You knew he was an accountant, but other than that you had nothing to go off. So you devised a plan. Find legal documents about L's birth mothers work at the time, and try and find out who she was meeting with through that. If she's married L's other dad by then, he'd have the last name Lawliet like L did.

Wait... does that mean L has three dads? Watari, his brother father and his mothers husband? Well, you could hardly call his mother and her husband parents with how abusive they were. So we'll call it two dads, Watari and his birth dad.

Hiding behind VPNs and firewalls, you scrolled through databases for accounting companies in England containing the name Lawliet. That way you could find his mother.

So far no luck, you were having to go back very far into the system. Back to the 80s when not much was recorded online, but you hoped there might be scans of old documents or something.

"Come on... give me a Lawliet..." you mumbled to yourself.

"Hm?" A half asleep L said hearing his name.

"No not you Lawliet, Lawliet as in the last name"

"Oh..." he yawned, falling back asleep.

Calling L by his last name was confusing sometimes. But hey, Lawliet is a beautiful name. Finally, you found the name you were looking for.

A woman with the last name Lawliet, working in the 80s at Winchester accountants. Clicking the file, you pulled up the information. This was definitely the woman. Her ID photo bore a striking resemblance to L's British side.

Same bone structure, same paleness, same fluffy hair. It was definitely his birth mother. It was weird seeing what she looked like, you'd never really thought about the concept of L's mother. Although you probably should have at some point considering his raging mummy issues.

At least he had a father figure in Watari growing up. But no mother figure. 

"Sent to Japan in February... yeah that checks out. Nine months later is October when mr spooky was born" you mumbled to yourself.

Following links to documents about her time in Japan, you were beginning to loose hope only seeing accounting documents. That was until your saw a signature. A Mr Hitoshi was working with her. Could that be the guy?

You opened a new page and typed his name into the search engine, multiple people with the same name popping up. You needed to find one that was an accountant...

Damn you felt like a freaking spy up in here.

After scrolling for a while, you found one. Who worked at the same company listed on the documents from Winchester.