Chapter 8 | develop

You woke up to find L on the computer with headphones on as to not wake you. You decided to take this moment to hide in the cupboard and get changed for the day. You took off your side of the handcuffs to put your shirt on and once you'd quickly changed, you put it back on.

You decided it was time for breakfast.

"L" you said, pulling on the handcuffs.

You got his attention and looked toward you, taking his headphones off.

"Oh you're awake, good morning" he said.

"Good morning, let's get breakfast"

"Alright"

He got up and you wandered down the halls toward the orphanages dining hall. You were still tried, not properly woken up yet, so when you felt a pair of arms around you you jumped a little.

Upon realising it was L, you felt your cheeks go warm and you got that strange unknown feeling again. You then remembered your conversation about last night and how you'd be more touchy with each other to see how you felt toward each other.

"Well, how does it make you feel?" He said.

"N-nice... all warm and fuzzy"

"You enjoy my hugs?"

"Y-yeah"

"Two things. One, you're stuttering. Two, maybe hugs set off an emotional response, maybe I should hug you more often" he said before letting go.

"T-that'd be nice. Also, stuttering while in contact seems to be a thing we both do" you said.

"It seems so. Well let's just continue this pattern until we come to a conclusion. It's not so bad being chained to you anyway"

"Yeah, I'm quite ok with being chained to you as well"

You reached the dining hall and grabbed some food, for L it was cocoa pops and for you it was just toast.

"Today let's not do a case or research. Let's spend the day out, maybe we can come to a conclusion if we just spend the day with not objective together" L said.

"Sounds good. Where will we go?"

"Into town? We can go to the arcade and park"

"Cool, let's just finish up breakfast and get ready first"

"Hey guys!"

You both turned to find A and B walking over.

"Hey" you replied.

"When's the next training session?" A asked.

"Next week" L replied.

"Ok good, I have some more time to study" B added.

"So, what are you two doing today?" A asked.

"We're spending the day together, going out and seeing if we can come to any conclusions" you said.

A and B gave each other a look. One you couldn't quite decode, like they knew something you didn't.

Something tells you they knew about everything you didn't with this little case of yours.

"Well, have fun. Also L, that work you gave us on the cold case, does that have a due date?" A said.

"No, it's more of an exercise to get you used to cases. Don't stress over it"

"See? You need to chill A, not everything is a race" B said.

"Yeah I know... I just struggle with that I guess"

"Well I can help you out a bit tomorrow, just work at your own pace ok?" You said.

"Ok, thanks guys"

"Well you two have fun in town, we have class in like 5 minutes so we'll see you later" B said.

And with that they left.

"Such potential, the both of them. I really hope they make it to be detectives..." L said.

"Don't even worry about it, they'll make it even if you're worried they won't. Anyway, les head out, we have our own little case to solve"