Chapter 73 | orphans to family

A/N: AHHHHH final chapter! I can't believe it's over. Thanks to everyone that read this and stuck by! If you haven't already read them I have multiple other L books so if the void left inside you after this one ends needs to be filled don't worry, ya bitch has plenty of L for you.

"I- wow... that's one massive file..."

You stood out by the park next to the orphanage where you spent your childhood days together, holding out the case file for L.

"Five year old me was on a mission" you laughed.

Taking the file from your hands, L opened the first page seeing the beginning of your investigation all those years ago. In scribbled coloured pencil on the top of the first page, it read 'Goal of the case: analyse L Lawliet and figure out why he makes me curious'.

"We were very oblivious kids" L snickered.

"I don't think we can blame ourselves when we were literally freshly orphaned. We never knew what love was until we found each other" you replied.

Sitting on the swings as you always did as kids, you watched L flip through the pages. Each entry your handwriting and spelling improved as you got older, your speech got more complex, and slowly the colour pencils and crayons turned to normal pens. A neatly documented dairy of sorts framed like a case file of your whole relationship from pre-dating to post-dating he held in his hands. He couldn't help but feel nostalgic and lovesick at the same time reading it over, knowing you were that invested in him to open a whole case on figuring out the love you both shared.

How do I tell him? He's oblivious! I guess I can't talk much I was oblivious too, but god... I just want to hold his face in my hands and place a gentle kiss on his forehead and tell him how much I love him. But how do you confess to someone? It's so scary. I love him, that's why I was so curious about him, I was in love. But how do I tell him that?

He read those words with a giggle, remembering the mess that was your confession.

"How do you tell me you love me? How about screaming it at me during an argument?" He teased.

"Hey I was caught up in the moment, and it worked didn't it? I got it out eventually" you replied.

"We definitely could have been more elegant about things but yes, at least we finally got it out there. Took us long enough"

"Looking back at it, handcuffing ourselves together was probably a bit extreme. But hey, we were traumatised teens who didn't know what social boundaries were"

"At least it helped us come to the conclusion of 'oh hey, we're in love"

Laughing at the memories of how stupid you were as teenagers and how you went to such lengths just to figure out what falling in love was, the nostalgia of your laughter ridden conversations in these very swings hit you like a wave. The amount of times you'd sneak out after lights out just to come talk on the playground, all the times you'd come out here to cry to each other, and all the times you'd taken the successors out here to play while helping raise them.

L skimmed through the entries, reading any that stood out. Telling himself to read the full file later when he had more time to himself. It was like a taking a trip down memory lane of your lives so far.

He read over the entry from when A died, a bittersweet nostalgia filling him. Sad A was gone, glad that you were there to help him through it. After that the entry from when B ran off, that same feeling filling him. Mood picked up quickly though once he got to the entries about Mello, Matt and Near arriving smiling at the comparison of you and him being like stand on parents for them.