Chapter 11| A and B

You were waiting. Sitting in a chair, with your feet on the table, beside L and opposite B. You were meant to start training the others for the successor program but A just wasn't there.

Suddenly there were loud footsteps outside and A burst through the doors.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! I was finishing my math work!" He said.

"That's fine, we haven't started yet anyway" you replied.

He sat down next to B.

"Alright, your job is to pick a cold case for the both of you to work on. You are to solve as much as you can, of course since this is a cold case you won't be able to solve the whole thing, but I want you to connect evidence to suspects from the information available and write your findings into a case file" L said.

"Got it, is there a due date?" B asked.

"Next month, the first Monday of the month" L replied.

"Can we ask you guys for feedback?" A asked.

"Yep! Come to us with any concerns" you replied.

"Ok! Come on B let's pick a case!" A said, enthusiastically.

And with that, the two of them left for the library to look for come cold cases in books and online.

"I think that will keep them busy and build their deductive skills" L said.

"I think so. But something kind of bothering me..." you said.

"What is it?"

"It's A, he's been acting strangely lately. He's been quieter, he's been sleeping in and he's been late a lot recently" you said.

"Yes, I have noticed that... I told B to keep an eye on him and make sure he's not overwhelming himself with work. If anything is wrong I'm sure B will tell us"

A and B were like two peas in a pod. Best of friends, B would keep A happy, you knew he would.

You were suddenly pulled along by the handcuffs that connected you and L, he wanders down the halls, dragging you along with him.

Then out of nowhere, he grabbed your hand and intertwined his fingers with yours.

That's right, you said you'd be trying to be closer to see if it'd reveal anything. And there it was... that feeling again.

"Hey... maybe the reason we're not understanding this is because we're not social. We talked to each other, A and B. That's it. I mean there's Watari and Roger but their like parents and I'm talking about friends. Maybe because we don't hang out with large groups and we literally never leave the orphanage, he don't understand all these social things" you suggested.

"That may have a bit to do with it, but I'm not going to join a group of people for a case"

"Neither am I"

"I guess we'll just have to figure it out, any feelings?" L said.

"That weird one neither of us know" you replied.

"Geez, that one is getting so annoying. I just want to know what it is already"

"Me too"

You ended up back in your room, sitting on the end of the bed.

"Well, we have some time to kill, what do you want to do?" You said.

"Not sure. We can't start a case right now, not while we have A and B working on one, it'll interfere with time and such" L replied.

You flopped onto your back and looked up at the roof, you felt the mattress bounce as L flopped down beside you.

"Hey... just curious, when was the last time you had a shut down?" You said.

When he was little, of L was surrounded by to many people, or too stressed, he's just stop functioning and curl up into a little ball and hide his head in his hands, nor responding to anyone. These were called shutdowns.

"Like, 4 years? I stopped talking to people and it fixed the problem, why?" He replied.

"Just wondering, did you ever find out why that happened?"

"Nope, and under the right circumstances, I could probably do it again"

You wanted to put this stuff in your case file, but you didn't know enough about it to do so, you wanted to know everything there is I know about L.

Even though you still didn't know why he interested you so much.

"I'll figure it out eventually" he said.

"You will, you solve everything that comes your way. That's why I know you'll figure this little situation were in out" you said, holding up the handcuffs.

It was silent for a moment, but you suddenly got an idea. This would definitely help the case.

You rolled over onto your front and looked down at L, who looked up at you.

"I have an idea" you said.

"I'm listening"

"Let's have a sleepover!"

"We already do that every night don't we?"

"No, like I proper one. Instead of you staying up all night and working on cases while I go to bed at 2, we actually do it properly. Like get into our pjs and have a pillow fight and gossip about pointless stuff and watch movies and sleep at like 3 in the morning" you explained.

"I guess that could help with the case. We'd be forced into a situation were he interact nonstop" he replied.

"Then it's settled, were having a sleepover tonight!"