Chapter 14: The Young Woman Surrounded in Light

Back in Narshe, Terra, Edgar, Banon, and Arvis had decided to proceed further in their plan of talking to Narshe's esper, despite Locke and Sabin not being with them. It was turning into night outside, reminding them that time would not stop just so that their friends could join them. Arvis took the group of Returners to the Elder's home, to discuss with him the grave situation Narshe was in.

"....I understand all of it." The elder said, and shook his head. "But how can WE be encouraging bloodshed?"

"Well, I never said....that exactly!" Arvis cried.

"Something like it." The elder said somewhat coldly.

"He is right, you know." Banon interjected, and both Arvis and the elder looked surprised.

"Banon!" Arvis cried.

"Our blood will spill because of you!" Banon shouted at the elder, who backed up a few steps. Terra's gaze flitted nervously from one man to the other, and she could hear Edgar sigh.

"Emperor Gestahl's racing to acquire Magitek power. He's set his sights on the Esper that was found here! The increased use of Magitek power'll surely lead to global destruction..." Banon glared at the elder. "You see, in the end, it did not matter whether you refused to side with the Returners or not. You see now that the Empire will destroy you anyway! Your people will perish if you do not seek outside help, and we are willing to defend you... we just need to see that esper... !" The elder sighed and looked away, realizing the truth.

"The War of the Magi... The mythical battle that set mankind back a thousand years..." The elder half-murmured to himself. "Can this really be happening all over again? People will never learn... Myself included, I am afraid..." Terra wrapped her arms around herself and tried to remain hopeful that the elder would come to his senses about what was happening.

"Brother!" A voice suddenly called out. Edgar gasped and turned around. Terra blinked and clasped her hands together happily.

"Sabin!?" She exclaimed.

"Hiya Terra!" Sabin smiled, and made his way into the parlor of the elder's house from the hall. "Long time no see, eh? You look great!"

"Sabin!" Terra cried, and suddenly surprised him with a hug. "I am glad to say you look great as well!"

"Thanks!" Sabin grinned, and messed up her hair. "As for you Edgar... well... Ha ha, I'm just kidding!! Didja miss me?" Edgar smiled and put his hands on his hips.

"Sabin... I am glad you are safe." He said happily. He, like his brother, sometimes had a hard time revealing his true emotions. "But... who is with you?" Edgar peered at the two new faces standing behind Sabin.

"Gau... Gau!" Gau exclaimed.

"He is a child we found on the Veldt, but he packs a wallop in battle!" Sabin explained. "He's hard to understand sometimes, but his intentions are as good as gold! He calls himself Gau."

"Hi Gau!" Terra smiled, and Gau ran over to her, taking her hand and kissing it like a little gentleman.

"What your name be?" Gau asked Terra, whose cheeks were slightly pink.

"Terra!" Terra exclaimed.

"And I'm Edgar, KING of Figaro AND Terra's handsome companion." Edgar noted icily.

"Edgar Sabin's brother?" Gau questioned. "Sabin tell us about you. You think girls love you! Does Edgar have mate?"

"....Erk...." Edgar turned red and looked to Sabin, who tried not to laugh.

"And I am Cyan Garamonde, retainer to the Lord of Doma!" Cyan said, and bowed. "I came to join your ranks as a Returner after Doma was attacked... I am afraid there were no other survivors to join me, but..."