Chapter 27: Strago, Master of Lore, but not of Deception

"We'll be at Thamasa any moment." Leo said, and Celes turned to face him, immediately reaching up to flick away a trailing tear. Leo raised his eyebrows, and Celes pressed her lips together for a moment, wrapping her arms around herself.

"This salty air is really getting to me." She finally lied, and Leo smiled a little, wrapping an arm around Celes' shoulder and giving her a little pat. He could very easily see through her fabrication, which actually surprised him. It never used to be like that with General Celes-- Her icy eyes and regal stance never gave her true intentions away, however, they were failing miserably now. She had definitely changed since they had last been together... he could tell the moment he had laid eyes upon her back in the Imperial Palace after being brutally beaten by Kefka. He also knew that it had been because of the Returners...

"Same here... I hate going to sea." Leo confessed. "At any rate, where do you suppose we should start our search...?"

~~~~~~

"What a cute little town!" Terra exclaimed, and Shadow raised his eyebrows as Interceptor let out a little whine

"What a cute little town!" Terra exclaimed, and Shadow raised his eyebrows as Interceptor let out a little whine. Lying ahead of the group was the quiet, little town known as Thamasa. It had been a short walk north from the nearly deserted harbor they had arrived in, at the tip of Crescent Island. Thamasa had one main cobblestone road leading down it's center that branched off every few yards to the various shops and homes that were set within. Nothing seemed to stick out too much except for the presence of a rather large mansion near the east side of town, and the small, bellflower adorned graveyard that was not too far away from the group. Locke took a deep breath and stuck his hands in his pockets as he stepped further within the town's boundaries, causing him to suddenly become the focus of many bewildered stares from the townsfolk. One woman nearly dropped her basket of baked goods when she saw the Returners, and without a second glance, ran off into the safety of a nearby shop. Terra noticed this as well and looked back at Shadow, who didn't seem moved by the odd reactions from the people. He just shrugged at her and patted Interceptor on the head.

"Maybe we should just ask a few people if they have seen anything weird..." Locke trailed off, and Terra nodded.

"Surely the Espers have passed through here... look at how nervous everyone seems..." Terra whispered, as she caught the stare of a little boy who glared at her and ran through the door of a home.

"Hey, you." Shadow suddenly grunted to a blonde haired man that was passing by. The man jumped and whirled around the face the Returners, a look of confusion set in his eyes.

"Y... Yeah?" He asked, and Shadow put his hands on his hips.

"Have you seen any Espers flying around here?" Shadow flat-out questioned, and the man blinked, reaching up to scratch his head.

"Espers?" The man shook his head. "What in blazes are those??? If they're some sort of animal, you should talk to the old man at the northern edge of town. He knows almost everything there is about monsters and animals, even extinct ones."