Chapter 22: Madonna, Keeper of the Ruby Pendant

"... The Esper World..." Locke trailed off, his voice barely audible as he repeated Terra's words. At that moment, all the Magicite the Returners possessed began to softly glow in unison, including the piece in Terra's lap. The scenery about them began to fade away, and replaced the dreary, drippy Zozo apartment with a warm, cozy scene of a small village with little bridges that crossed the rivers and spacey hilltops adorned with flowers and little espers running about, screaming and laughing. 

The homes scattered throughout the village were simple and looked as if they had been pulled out of a story book

The homes scattered throughout the village were simple and looked as if they had been pulled out of a story book. The sky was a soft blue, and clouds lazily hazed in with the pale smoke that was coming out of all the houses' chimneys. A rather large cave with a big gate could be seen tucked behind everything else, it being the only dark and looming presence in the whole village.

Is this the Esper World? Locke thought to himself. The place my Grandmother always told me stories about?

The magic of the Espers is letting us see their world! Edgar's thoughts raced excitedly.

I feel like a ghost... No one can see us. Setzer closed his eyes and reopened them slowly to make sure this was real.

Suddenly, a new figure appeared in the scenery, running down a long path that appeared to lead to the exit of the village, and turned a corner, nearly running into a tall figure that could only be an Esper. The first Esper bowed in apology to the bigger one, and pointed worriedly to the path he had been running down.

The Espers... they look nearly human. Cyan noted to himself. Actually, they look a lot like Terra does now...

"Maduin, just the esper I wanted to see!" The running Esper cried

"Maduin, just the esper I wanted to see!" The running Esper cried. "There's an emergency! Something is coming through the gate!" Maduin looked shocked and reached up to straighten the beautiful jeweled head piece he was wearing.

"I'll go investigate." Maduin finally replied, and patted the shoulder of the smaller Esper as he took off running down the long path, finally reaching the looming cave in the back of the village. Heaving the rock door open, Maduin stepped inside and looked about. The cave was dark, and the only thing in it was a long rope bridge that led from the door to the Esper's World to the other side of the cave, where the Humans lived.