Chapter 18:Always her

(Selections for the University Soccer Team)

All the players are lined up ,awaiting Coach Park's announcement.

"Alright fellas,so now,I will announce the guys who will represent our University at the nationals which are coming up in 4 months."

He has a list in his hand,which builds the tension among the players.

Jake remains calm. He knows he is going to get in anyways. He was the star striker of the team.

"First,permanent team members"

"Oh Woojin!"

"Min Tae Oh"

"Lee Kang Jun"

"Kang Tae Sung"

"Kim Min Ho"

"Richard Park"

"Song Jun Hui"

"Ji Jin Seok"

"Bae Jun"

Hearing Bae Jun's name slightly alarmed Jake. He was a striker too. But he dismissed the thought thinking they both might be on the team.

"Choi Seok Jin and....Hong Ki Bum...that's it!" The coach announced and Jaeyun stood rooted at his spot in shock.

His name  did not even get announced in the reserve players list that followed. He didn't understand what was going on.

"You all are dismissed for the day!" Coach Park says and walks away in the opposite direction. Jaeyun runs to him.

"Coach! Coach!"  Coach Park doesn't pay him any heed and keeps walking,until Jake runs up all the way in front of him.

"Sir! I think there has been a mistake,you didn't call my name out!" He gasps.

"Yes,I didn't. But I assure you young man,there's no mistake in that." Coach's words shock him.

"But how is that- I am supposed to be there,I am the star striker-" he tries to protest and is interrupted.

"On this team,we don't need the self proclaimed best strikers. We need passionate and dedicated individuals. You may be talented,but you certainly don't have the discipline Sim Jaeyun! A quality of extreme importance in a good sportsperson."

Jake watches him in bewilderment.

"You have been slacking off a lot,partying out,not attending practice. This has been going on for a long time Sim Jaeyun,and it certainly surpassed the value your talent had. It is of no use,if you aren't disciplined."

"Coach...it's true I haven't been regular...but please don't do this...I have to be on the team!" Jake protests,but Coach Park doesn't pay any heed and walks away,ignoring his pleas.

"Aish!" Jake feels like his world came to a standstill,he doesn't know what to do.

He is seated alone in the dining hall as his girlfriend Liyah runs up to him.

"Babe!!!" She hugs him,but he simply is zoned out,lost in his own thoughts .

"What happened?" She asks him.

"Liyah...I failed to make it...the soccer tryouts..." He sighs.

"What??" Liyah seems very shocked.

"But why? You are the star of that team?!"she yells.

"They said I slacked off too much,I was just making time to go out with you-" he quickly gulps those words back in,so as to not make her feel guilty,but she raises her eyebrows.