37

"I'm really sorry you had to endure that, Sweetheart." Jungkook's voice was soft as he spoke to Taehyung, caressing the golden locks that have grown a lot, now reaching over Taehyung's eyes so the blond always had to wipe them out of his face.

Taehyung was surprisingly curled up on Jungkook's lap, seeking warmth from the only one friendly and the only one willing (and allowed) to touch him. The Mafia leader's hand was wrapped around Taehyung's thigh in a possessive manner and he didn't allow anyone of his men to further look at Taehyung.

"I was wishing to not involve your family, especially Seokjin in this and only risk my own reputation, but I fear this got out of hand", Jungkook confessed, speaking of Taehyung's own thoughts.

The said male felt his heart inwardly clench, because Jungkook had wanted to protect his family. It was true, his trust in the dangerous Mafia leader had been faltered so Taehyung hadn't believed, and still did, any word that left Jungkook's traitorous mouth.

But now, things were different, Taehyung was starting to fall for Jungkook's charms and he wondered if that had been the plan all along, to use every dirty little trick Jungkook could think of in order for Taehyung to fall for him.

It shouldn't matter to Taehyung, he was going to be home soon, hopefully. He was going to return to his old life, be reunited with his family and returning to university, forget all about Jungkook.

But why was he feeling like tearing up by this thought?

"I fear it cannot be prevented: I have to ask your Hyung for help, as much as I hate to say this but together we might be more successful. My men in the government assured me that there would be no actions against you but seems like I was wrong", Jungkook huffed at the end, really annoyed by this whole fiasco.

He had let Taehyung down. The only thing Jungkook had promised his doll and he had failed Taehyung. Now he for sure would want to stay away from Jungkook as far as he could.

"I didn't want to worry my Hyung... but if he can help, the least thing we can do is ask", Taehyung's soft voice broke the silence, shyness overlaying the beautiful timbre of his voice and Jungkook was fast to agree. 

"My promise still stands. I will protect you and your family with all I can, Taehyung."

The blond Chess Queen smiled.

"I know. But I also know my Hyung will destroy you if you dare break your promise."

°°°

Taehyung was brought back to his family, more like his eldest Hyung, after Jungkook had spoken to Seokjin and had explained everything to the other Mafia leader. Seokjin had been outraged after Jungkook had explained everything to him and he wouldn't calm down until the younger promised him to bring Taehyung to Seokjin's mansion.

Now, Taehyung was cuddled up in his Hyung's embrace, crying softly because he was finally reunited with him but also because he felt guilty. He didn't want to involve Seokjin, he really didn't but Jungkook made him realize there was a chance the government would be coming for his family too.

And Taehyung wanted to prevent that, under any circumstances.

"So now that you're in need of help, you return him? You fucking kidnapped my little brother you uncultured swine, don't think that's something I'll easily forgive you", Seokjin seethed over Taehyung's head.

Yoongi was sleeping in their room and Seokjin didn't want to worry his lover. He also hadn't told his mother the reason why Taehyung was back with him, only offered her the piece of information that Taehyung was safe with him. He asked his mother to trust him and Sohee did.

This was her big bear after all, the one always protecting his family out of the shadows and also the one being responsible for erasing most traces of Taehyung's true origin.

"Do you know how long it took me to make him and his record invisible?! And you had to destroy years of work and lots of favors in what? A month? Congrats, Jeon", Seokjin snarled angrily at the other Mafia leader who took the angry words with a bow of his head.

"I understand you're upset with me and I truly regret the way I have involved myself with Taehyung", Jungkook started. The silver-haired man threw Taehyung a fond look out of sad eyes before he turned back to Seokjin.

"I shouldn't have taken him in the way I did. But I am in love with Taehyung and I'll never apologize for my feelings."

Seokjin glared at Jungkook, already opening his mouth to spat more curses at the daring man but a soft hand on his arm caused him to turn his head. Big puppy eyes met his as Taehyung looked up to him pleadingly.

"Please don't fight, Hyung. And please don't tell Momma anything. I don't want her being pulled into this mess. It's bad enough that I have to involve you." Taehyung's voice was low, guilty and Seokjin immediately softened.

"Okay Tae, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. But are you sure you don't want Momma to know?"

Taehyung shook his head, eyes starting to unfocus.

"She's worried enough about me... plus, Joonie is with her, I don't want to worry him", Taehyung gnawed on his bottom lip, suddenly tears were welling in his eyes. He felt horrible for worrying his family like that.

All the feelings he had repressed were slowly coming back to the surface. The guilt of being a burden, of being a special case, a white Chess Queen in a world were exceptions were erased. Guilt because his mother always had to focus on him, her weakest son and the youngest. Taehyung knew he wasn't the easiest brother and now he was yet again bringing trouble to his family, the ones he loved the most.

"You're never a burden, TaeTae. Never believe that. Momma and Joonie love you, as much as I do and we all want the best for you", a glare was thrown into Jungkook's direction, "which isn't him, by the way. The least you can do is get Tae out of the mess you caused."

Jungkook nodded with gritted teeth. Eunwoo to his side snickered.

"Finally you're getting your ass beaten for the shit you pulled, dimwit", Eunwoo grinned evilly. He was enjoying this so much.

Taehyung giggled, relieved that Eunwoo was here to calm the tense atmosphere with his jokes. He threw the male a little, thankful smile and Eunwoo returned it with a wink. Jungkook to his side frowned but didn't say anything.

"Thank you, Hyung. But as long as I can protect them, I will do it. I owe it to them", Taehyung said seriously and Seokjin ruffled his hair. "So proud of you, TaeTae", he said fondly.

"So what's the plan?"

~

Is Taehyung's decision on not involving his mother and Namjoon justified ? What do you guys think ?

Elaboratae