Chapter 14

Kai's POV

Sofia watched me as I exited the house. "Are we driving to the park or running to the park," I asked. She glowered at me.

"Did you get the flowers mixed up," she asked.

"What," I played dumb.

"Nevermind. I don't care what you do," she said, running down her driveway. I caught up with her.

"So we're running to the park," I said.

"No. I'm running away from you," she said, making a sharp right turn and speeding up.

"Sofie please," I sighed, speeding up. "You're going to get kidnapped if you keep running away from people. I know you watch those serial killers documentaries!"

"I don't care," she yelled back, kicking her running up a gear.

"I'm going to catch a cramp, Sofie. I'm sorry. I got the flowers mixed up and I noticed as soon as I saw your face. I didn't mean to hurt you," I said. She slowed and looked back at me.

"Then why'd you pretend that you didn't know what I was talking about when I asked you like two seconds ago," she said walking towards me.

"I figured you wouldn't confront me about it," I said. It wasn't a lie though my previous statement was. I absolutely knew her favorite flowers were asters. The flowers were for her, but then I saw Sage and realized there was no way I could give Sofie her flowers without causing a blowout fight. Sofie eyed me suspiciously. "Please, I'm sorry," I said, putting my arms out for a hug. She stood her ground. "I will fall to my knees and beg," I smiled at her. She stomped her foot, and rolled her eyes before smiling back at me and running into my arms.

"I will forgive you on one condition," she said, not letting go of the hug.

"Anything, name it," I said. She wiggled out of my arms and smiled at me.

"Cook us lunch please. I'm too broke to buy food, so you have to buy the groceries and cook us lunch," she said looking proud of herself.

"Of course I will," I promised. "Do you know what you want?"

"Aht. We're doing this chopped style. I'm giving you the major ingredients and you have this run to figure out what you're cooking, and don't use your phone. That's cheating," she said.

"Okay. I'll play, what's the ingredients," I agreed.

"I did some research when you said you wanted to be a chef, since I don't know how to cook. My mom only cooks breakfast, other than that we're eating out or Sage is feeding us salads, and vegetables," she said looking disgusted.

"Salad and vegetables are good for you, and you researched being a chef," I chuckled, but it warmed my heart. Nobody but my parents has ever been interested in my cooking unless it's for them.

"Yes, I wanted to see how I could help you reach your dreams. Anyway that's not the point, so I watched 5 episodes of Chopped and 2 episodes of Hell's Kitchen this morning in preparation," she started. I tilted my head at her in amazement. "What, stop making this weird! So the four ingredients are salmon, sun dried tomato, spinach, and heavy whipping cream."

"So you want pasta," I smiled. She smiled back at me.

"That was too easy, but wait till next Sunday. I'm gonna make it way way harder. You're gonna be stumped," she said, rolling her eyes. "Can we run now," she asked looking down the street towards the park.

"Yeah, do you wanna listen to music or talk," I asked.

"If you can talk you're not working out hard enough. Bet I beat you back to my house," she said, taking off towards the park.