Chapter 24

Kai's POV

I looked at the exasperated movements that Sophia was making while talking to her mom. I figure the kiss probably put her in hot water. Another time I wouldn't be apologizing for my actions, while I would have preferred the kiss to be more romantic, I couldn't regret it.

"So, you like her," my dad asked, switching to our native tongue.

"Yeah," I said.

"Then why aren't you two together," he pushed.

"I dated her sister."

"That explains her mom's anger," he noted.

"Yup," I sighed.

"What else is going on in your life?"

"I'm suspended next week," I said.

"What does that mean," he asked.

"I can't go back to school for a week, disciplinary actions," I answered.

"Hmm, why?"

"I got in a fight," I said. I felt him snatch my face towards him and stare at me up and down my body.

"I'm fine dad. They barely touched me. In their defense, I snuck them," I said, snatching my face away to stare at Sophie again.

"Them, more than one person?"

"No, one person, they're nonbinary,"

"Nonbinary?"

I took an annoyed breath in and held it, knowing my dad just wanted to understand before passing judgment or punishment and for that I should be grateful. I stopped the huff that was going to make its way out and replaced it with a silent exhale. "They don't identify with either gender, so he and she pronouns do not fit. I hit them because I was feeling emotional about Sophie. They were trying to encroach on," I said trailing off. I saw his head turn towards Sophie. He turned my face towards him pressing our foreheads together. "Mano po," I said, accepting his blessings.

"Your mother, however," he said, bringing my world to a screeching halt.

"Is mom back," I asked. He nodded.

"She's going to kill me," I panicked.

"She's going to kill you," he agreed nodding his head, "But maybe I can give her some loving, that'll smooth it over."

Mid gag Sophie ran over. "Are you okay," she asked, her eyebrows furrowed in worry.

"My mom is home, she's gonna find out I got suspended. My dad offered to have sex with her to ease the news."

Sophie turned russet with blush. "Oh, um well how do you think you got here," she asked. I gagged again.

"Both of you are on my shit list," I said, rolling my eyes. She gave a closed lips smile accompanied with a giggle, and my dad smiled wide at her hitting her shoulder jestfully. "We've already packed everything up. Not much food left. They messed up those birria tacos. I saved some for your mom though," I said, handing her a ziplock bag of meat.

"Can we drop it by my house, mommy is working a double and she's afraid someone will steal it," she asked.

"We can do whatever you want," I said, guiding her towards the passenger side and opening the door for her.

My dad hit my shoulder in approval, before saying, "Alright my child, I have to go pick up flowers for your mom, and head home. Her being here is supposed to be a surprise though. So act for me." I smiled and gave him a hug.

"Okay I love you dad. Thanks for coming!"

"Anything for my little girl," he said, giving me a kiss on my cheek.