Chapter 9

"It's about to be a what..Girlfight."
-Brooke Valentine

Sophia's POV
    I ran down the block after telling Kai that it's probably better if she didn't drop me at home. I slowed my breathing and tried to quietly turn the lock; I don't know if Sage has seen the picture yet but it's best to avoid her just in case. I smiled at the silence of the house, perhaps I'm worried for nothing she's not even here. I still walked silently avoiding all the creaks of the steps and almost made it.

    "Bitch what the fuck is this," Sage screeched showing me a picture of Kai and I looking at the sky. If I wasn't scared for my life I would have asked for the picture because we looked cute. "Oh so you cant fucking hear now? I asked you a question."

    "I um I cant um I," I started before blowing breath out of my mouth. "It doesn't look good, but its not what it looks like," I settled on.

    "Well then what is it Sophia because it looks like you're being a little homewrecker," she said, not calming down
.
    "Homewrecker?!?! We are in high school, you have no home to wreck," I chuckled.

    "You think this shit is funny. Sophia I will fuck you up. I don't give a shit about whatever fighting skills you have," she said punching the wall.  My eyes got wide and mouth gaped open.

    "Hey what the hell is happening out here," My mom said coming out of her room.

    "She's trying to break up me and Kai," Sage said, showing my mom the picture.

    "You and Kai," my mom asked, "Kai, like the girl your sister has had a crush on since before the dinosaurs went extinct."

    "Yes," Sage said, calming down a bit.

    "So you're gay too. I have two gay daughters, so I'm never having grandkids," my mom said her face stone.

    "I'm bisexual," Sage answered.

    "And you," my mom asked, turning to me.

    "Purebred lesbo here mom," I smiled.

    "That's not what this is about. She's trying to manipulate my girlfriend into being with her." Sage whined.

    "No, that's not true," I defended. "Sage left me at school and I had to find a way home, so I-"

    "Sage, did I hear that correctly. Let me tell you what I heard. When school dismissed you hopped your little ass in that car, started it, and drove home without your sister. Is that what I heard Sage," My mom asked.

    Sage looked at me with death in her eyes. "Mom it's not the way you described it."

    "Answer my question," my mom said in a strangely calm voice.

    "Yes,but Sophia is failing Geometry," Sage said pointing at me. I furrowed my eyebrows at her.

    "Both of you grounded for a month," my mom said.

"No mommy, I'm getting help. In fact Kai is my tutor. It's another reason we were hanging out today, please I'm trying to correct my grades before it's too late," I pleaded.

    "Fine, you have until your progress reports I want to see at least a 75 Sophie. Sage go get me your cell phone, Mac, iPad, and extra phone you try to get away with using when you are grounded. I don't work hard to get you a car to drive so you can leave your sister. In fact, give me those car keys. I don't know what the hell has gotten into you young lady," my mom started her speech. I slowly backed away and went to my bathroom. No need for me to be involved in that mess. The longer I stick around the more likely I am to get in trouble. By the time I was finished with my shower the commotion had calmed down. I straightened my room a bit before settling in to watch Ozark. Somewhere in the middle of the show I got a ding. 'You dead? ' From Baby Momma.

'Hey Kai, Just got out the shower chilling. Not dead🙌🏾🙌🏾'

'Lol I'm surprised she didn't kill you. The picture looks bad.😬😬 I'm getting the silent treatment🙄'

"Oh no, all her stuff got taken for leaving me. I'll let her call you from my phone tomorrow if she's done trying to kill me. I feel bad.'

'😩😩 Girl you must be patron saint Mary. I don't know too many people who would be nice enough to let the person who left them use they shit.'

'🤷🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀️ What can I say. They see my halo from space 😂.'  She marked the message with a haha sticker, and I tossed my phone to the side and smiled. I think we're making progress. I heard a soft tap on my door and sighed before pausing ozark. I'm going to have to start the episode over at this point. "Come in."

"I'm about to head to work," my mom said, dressed in her full scrubs attire.

"Okay,"I smiled at her.

"Please make up with your sister. I try not to get in you girls' love life because I haven't been in the dating game for about 22 years but I do know sisters are forever and everyone else is just rah rah."

"But mom I'm not the wrong one here. She's dating the girl who I've liked forever," I whined.

"I'm not defending her. But I know you're the one more likely to take the high road. I'm just asking that you be my responsible, sweet Sophie I know you are," she said, coming to rub my cheek.

"Not this time mommy. I didn't do anything wrong. Kai is my partner in my parenthood and family class. I have to be around her for the next year and I'm not backing away. I've been waiting for this since elementary school, so this is my chance. I'm not going to blow it. I'm sorry."

She sucked in a deep breath through her nose. "Okay baby I have to respect that, but any girl who is willing to break a bond between sisters might not have the best character. I love you. I'm heading to work."

"Love you too mommy. Goodnight."