Chapter 19: Gordon Ramsay Nearly Cooks My Mortal Enemy

💜🐻💜

💖Thank you for reading my story! If you have any questions about my fanfic you want answered, drop them in the comments below! 💖

A/N: Happy (late) Valentine's Day, my nerds! 

Guess who's back, back again. 

I'm SO, SO SORRY this took 3 months to write. I was busy applying for scholarships, moving past my breakup, and training for a 10k in March (that I can't run since shin splints exist). I originally planned to write about Horrificator first, but I rewatched the Kung Food episode and decided to write a chapter for it while writing the Horrificator episode.

Hope you enjoy (please don't kick my virtual ass for this)!

1 Week Later...

October 17, 2015

66 Avenue Victor Hugo, Paris, France

11:35 a.m.

"The point's to learn about different kinds of cooking from other countries," Mom informs me. 

I rest my head on the kitchen counter. "Since when did Girl Scout patches turn into homework?"

"You know the badges get harder when you move up the ranks," Mom explains as she walks across the kitchen to grab her camera bag. "Don't let that stop you from working to earn them."

She hesitantly hands me her bag, looking me dead in the eye. "Text me as soon as you get there. I'm working the twelve hour today, so you're gonna have to walk there and back."

I nod, slinging the bag over my shoulder. "I got it, Mom. It's right down the street." I turn to the couch. "Mato, andále! Time to go!"

Mato scowls at me, clearly pissed I interrupted her reading of Cujo. "I got it! I'm not deaf."

Mom scoffs. "I wonder sometimes."

Shooting Mom a glare, the little bear snaps the enormous book shut and reluctantly hovers to me, resting inside my satchel. 

I still don't understand how she can read books three times her size. 

Mom's eyes sternly pierce through us. "You both know the drill. Something happens, you let me know. Transform, make sure no one gets hurt, and come back home alive. Got it?"

"Shania, I'm over 55 million years old. I know how to take care of myself," Mato snorts. "And Kai's not a damsel in distress. She can handle herself."

"I don't care. You two better be careful."

I wrap my arms around her, pressing my face into the soft cloth of her uniform. "I will, Lieutenant Hawkeye."

"Our last name is Roseberry."

"Sorry. The Fullmetal Alchemist in me couldn't resist."

Mom softly laughs. "You and your anime."

There's a thick tension hanging in the air, and it's so clear I can see it as if it were little groups of coal tars. I've noticed that since the Law and Order attack, Mom's changed a bit. I can't put my finger on it, but I think she's become more focused than usual, like a hawk cautiously watching over its nest. More focused on keeping her emotions in check and hidden, and more overprotective over me and Mato.