11. Drops of blood - "What did you do?"

Levi did not take his eyes off the girl as he opened his wardrobe. She had closed the door behind her and was now standing in the middle of his room with both hands hidden behind her back.

"Are you scared? Or why are you standing there frozen?"

"I was just told that you hate it when people dirty your room. And I'm coming from training."

"Says who?"

"Mike and Erwin, too."

"Erwin, huh?" thought Levi. The corners of his mouth moved down.

Chagara's gaze fell on his bookshelf. "Erwin also said you read a lot. What do you read? Novels? Non-fiction books? Or do you even have books, about the world outside?"

"Erwin again," it flashed through Levi's mind as he narrowed his eyes.

Chagara leaned forward to get a better look into Levi's wardrobe from her position. In two baskets on the lowest shelf she suspected underwear. On the shelf above, neatly folded T-shirts were visible. On the third and final shelf, he kept additional bed linen, sheets and blankets, all neatly folded. On the clothes rail hung two normal dark suits. Chagara guessed they were his casual clothes. Next to them hung five uniform shirts, five uniform jackets and the matching five pairs of uniform trousers. Like the two green capes that had also been hung on hangers, none of the garments showed wrinkles or stains.

"These are all your uniforms?", she asked in amazement. "And they all still fit you too? If I was lucky, there used to be two whole uniforms in my wardrobe."

"Well, don't hurt yourself and look after your clothes. And keep them in order," Levi replied emotionlessly as he took out a jacket and a pair of trousers.

"That's what Erwin said." Chagara smiled. "That your appearance is always impeccable. You never have a loose thread on your jacket or a missing button on your shirt. Do you enjoy that sort of thing?"

Levi slammed the wardrobe door.

"Erwin, Erwin, Erwin," it flashed through his head. "Didn't Erwin answer this question?", he yelled at the girl, holding out the clothes to her.

Chagara looked at him, puzzled. "No," she replied quietly after a while. "Sorry, I just wanted to know more about you. I'll never ask Erwin about you again. Or anyone else, either. I promise." Chagara went to reach for the clothes, but Levi pulled his outstretched arm away, causing the girl to grab at the air.

Her eyes widened as in the next moment the clothes fell to the floor and her back was slammed against the wall beside the door.

"You want my clothes?", shouted Levi at her. "What?" Deep down he didn't understand himself. "What are you doing?", he heard an inner voice yelling back.

"Than tell me what you and your team are doing."

When the girl did not answer, he pressed his arm against her throat. Tears formed in her eyes. Levi felt his own horror and yet: he couldn't let go of her. What was it with her and Erwin? And where had he himself been when all these conversations about him had taken place?

"What we do?" gasped Chagara, "We try to survive." A lone tear ran down her cheek.

Despite her answer, Levi continued to press his arm against her throat. "Let her go!", that inner voice screamed at him. "Why? Why doesn't she fight back?" he heard himself say in his mind. She didn't try to scream. She didn't try to grab his arm. She didn't try to kick him away. She remained standing calmly.