31. Four tones

Chagara looked at the wall. For hours. The only thing that had changed was the light. The evening was beginning. As her stomach repeatedly growled, she sat up with a sigh. She hadn't eaten anything since the rice porridge this morning. Still, she didn't feel like going to the canteen or the kitchen. Every step outside her room meant that the danger of running into Levi increased.

When her bare feet touched the cool floor, she reached for her socks. Her eyes fell on her uniform hanging on the wardrobe. Should she put it on? "Why do I have to train in uniform?" Chagara shook her head and put on the second sock. True, training suits were no longer made due to lack of materials and cost, but why not use the ones they had when training? As she stood up, she touched the freshly washed training suit. It was still damp. But the smell test confirmed that the stench was no longer there. "Then I don't have to throw you away," Chagara muttered to herself in relief. So she would continue to own three training suits and two uniforms.

As her stomach grumbled again, Chagara looked around searchingly. On the small table she finally found her handkerchief in which she had wrapped her slice of bread this morning.

"Do I need to apologise?," she pondered as she unwrapped the slice. "But actually I didn't do anything," she said, biting into her bread. "After all, he did drag the girls into his bed." As she thought about it again, the anger came back. She kicked the table leg with all her might and immediately regretted it. Whimpering and with full cheeks, she sat down on the floor and felt her toes with her face contorted in pain. None seemed to be broken.

"Ayumi?" Steve knocked on her door.

With unintelligible mutterings, she leaped to the door and opened it.

"Ayumi, I'm worried about Peter and –" When he saw her, he stopped. Ayumi's eyes switched back and forth between anger and pain. And yet Steve had to control himself not to laugh out loud. Chagara had stuffed the rest of her bread into her mouth and was impossible to understand with her hamster cheeks. As he was about to try again, they heard horse whinnies. There had to be several of them. A team? Which one?

Chagara leaped to the window. "What the hell ..." was her only thought as she recognised the leader. Hastily she looked for her boots and slipped into them.

"Ron?," asked Steve irritated as he looked out of the window. "But why? And why with the rest of the team?"

Chagara grabbed her training jacket and - followed by Steve - left her room.

"HELLO! Here I am!," Ron greeted his two friends in a dramatic voice and fell around their necks.

"What are you doing here?," asked Chagara in confusion, watching as the rest of the team brought the horses into the stable.

"I followed my destiny!," declared Ron theatrically.

"What?," asked Steve.

"This morning! I came out of church! I went to the stable! And found out! That both Paul's horse and Peter's horse were gone!" He paused. "Well, and then I thought you guys were going outside the walls and needed the more experienced soldiers in our team. So I gathered the rest of us together and we set out."

"Why is everyone doing what they want?," hissed Chagara after a while. "One is just sitting on the wall with Pixis, the other trades horses back and forth and disappears without a trace. And you're moving soldiers without orders."

"Yes, yes, exactly," Steve agreed with her. "Besides, why should we go outside when the Titan is already in here?"

"What?," Ron looked at him, stunned.