28. The third person

"Levi Heichou?"

But the man addressed continued to look sullenly into the mane of his borrowed horse. That night he and Erwin had accompanied 16 lightly wounded soldiers from the Garrison Regiment to Shadi's training camp. Burns, lacerations, wounds that needed a few stitches - all injuries that the medical staff at the training camp could also treat. Everyone who had already been able to leave the infirmary had now returned with Erwin and Levi to the Wall Maria at the scene of the accident. Here the soldiers were already replacing the wreckage of the broken cannons with intact ones.

"Levi Heichou?," the timid voice tried again.

Levi had been given the room as on his birthday, but he had not entered it until dawn. He had sat at the entrance. With his memories of the past hours. With the blood of the young soldier on his hands. And with the hope that he would see Chagara. But he did not see her. Neither in the canteen at breakfast, nor on the training ground, nor in the stables. "Where are you?" Since the talks in Mitras, it was clear that expeditions without Commander Erwin were no longer allowed. So she couldn't go outside the walls. Chagara could not yet know anything about the results from Mitras, but Peter would never have let her go outside alone. Without Paul, without Ron. "He wouldn't. Would he?"

"Excuse me, but Levi Heichou?"

"What?," replied Levi irritably, only now grasping the situation. While everyone had already gotten off their horses, he was still sitting on the borrowed horse of the Military Police. Levi gave the nervous soldier the reins and jumped off.

"What about you?" Astonished at his friend's emotional outburst, Erwin had turned to Levi.

But as Levi jumped, his rescue came into view. "Nothing, I just thought the escape gate was intact. Then why is it open?" He pointed to the gate in question. The latch of the lock was sticking out. The first door was open.

"Konrad!" Erwin waved the team leader over.

"Yes, Commander?"

"Is there work on the gate?"

"No. Why, Commander?" replied Konrad, confused.

Peter and Paul were sitting under a tree some distance away. They had noticed the soldiers arriving. But neither of them had enough strength to stand up and put on the usual cheerful show. The shock of last night paralysed them. When Erwin had left for Shadis with Levi and the injured, Peter started to walk down the wall with Paul. About two kilometres from the explosion and the escape gate, they saw it. The body of a dead Titan. Inside the walls. It was the little Titan with the brown hair, the large claws and the sharp teeth. As they climbed on top of him, they noticed the hole in the back of his neck. It looked like it was an entrance.

"Or an exit," Peter muttered barely audibly.

The two old friends knew each other too well. One look was enough and they knew they both had the same thoughts. "A human has hidden in this Titan and now moves as he pleases within the walls. As a human, he does not attract attention. But can he change back into a Titan? When? Why? And how many of this kind are there? How many of this kind are already among us? And what do they want from us?"

They had thought about getting Steve. But they found the discovery by strangers too dangerous and so they burned the remains of this Titan shell. Evidence of a shocking fact. When the fire had destroyed the shell, they moved on and found a small chapel and a house a good 500 metres away. Probably the priest lived here, but he was not there. Did he hear the explosion and rush to the scene of the accident? In any case, there was no horse in the stable behind the house.