30. "Don't do anything stupid, understood?"

Should she hide her tears in Apple's mane? Or should she go back to him and slap his face? The giggles from the recruits did not stop.

"Are you sure?," she heard one of the boys ask. In her corner by the back entrance, she was invisible to the rest of those present.

"Yes. He has had fun with many girls. That's what people tell," another guy replied.

"Who are you talking about?" This young girl with the reddish-blonde hair had joined the boys. She took a sip and looked expectantly around.

"About your beloved Levi Heichou."

As Petra's cheeks turned red, Chagara looked down at her white knuckles.

"He is not my beloved Levi Heichou." The girl sounded unconvinced.

"Yeah yeah. Maybe it was you." The dark-haired boy grinned broadly at her.

"What?," Petra wanted to know.

"They say Levi Heichou had a lady in his bed last night. Anyway, voices were heard from his dark room after midnight. And one was said to be female," the dark-haired guy explained. "But that's not all," he added.

Or should she shut this nag up first?

"That's right. A breakfast isn't all in this training camp." Startled, the recruits turned to look at Shadis' expressionless face. "I'm just wondering why you're all still sitting merrily in front of your half-full plates when in seven minutes the trainings will start."

Hastily, the recruits stuffed the rest of their breakfast into themselves. Even the nag now had his mouth full of the rice porridge and had finally fallen silent. "Petra, Jakob," Shadis addressed the redhead and the nag. "I would have expected more from you." With those words, Shadis left the canteen. The recruits ran to the tray drop-off with their trays and finally ran out of the room.

Chagara was left alone. She had choked down her rice porridge during the conversation about Levi's women. But her slice of bread? In a bad mood, she took out her clean handkerchief and wrapped the bread in it. Maybe she should just stay with her boys. With her team. By Peter's side. That was far more than she could have dreamed of as a child anyway. "Peter." Chagara took her tray away. "Why are you still with Pixis at the Wall Maria, anyway?" And where were Paul, Jimmy and Steve?

***

Peter's eyes narrowed as he looked through the telescope. No, his eyes were not playing tricks on him. Light smoke could be seen on the horizon. He had not only the cool wind in the early morning to thank for the goosebumps. But also to the following thought: "Who had made a fire in the middle of the forest?" It was certainly a campfire. Was it the priest and his stable boy? But had they actually made it there? And why were they drawing attention to themselves with a campfire? "Or," Peter gulped. "Or were it the missing three walkers?" Three more Titan- humans? Peter hypnotised the thin column of smoke. He wanted to memorise the spot as best he could. Then he left the wall and walked towards the canteen where he suspected Jimmy was.

He had sent Paul to Shadis' training camp the day before. The former Vice-Commander, together with Steve, was supposed to bring back the borrowed horses and ride back with their own. Peter couldn't escape the feeling that he needed his faithful mare. Now he knew why. He needed to get out. Outside the walls. See who had built a campfire in the forest.

The canteen was well crowded when Peter sat down opposite his youngest team member. Paul had sent Jimmy to keep Peter company. "Jimmy," whispered the former Commander. The addressed looked at him, chewing. "When you're done, ride back to Shadis and get Paul. He should be back. Tell him to bring my horse."