69. "You pack your stuff and get out of here."

If Levi had not been sitting, he would have collapsed. His trembling hands were on his soft knees. What was louder? His heartbeat or the voices around him? But Erwin did not allow them to interrupt his speech. All the soldiers of the Scout Regiment were gathered in the canteen. They had returned from their days off. But the easygoing mood did not last two hours.

"On March 15, we start the recapture of Wall Maria. We push back the Titans. We will have support from the citizens. Together we will take back our homeland," the Commander declared with a serious face. "Your team leads will continually inform you in the coming days."

The upset murmurs in the canteen went silent as time passed. The cruel reality could not be changed. Everyone was aware that the operation was being carried out mainly to maintain internal security and to ensure the survival of humankind. For that, tens of thousands of people had to die a horrible death. "A quarter of humanity?"

"Commander Erwin?" Ron had stood up.

"Yes?" The Commander's icy blue eyes rested on the soldier.

"How are the people being informed? I mean, do they know yet?"

"The citizens will be informed by the Military Police in the near future. The Military Police is responsible for bringing the citizens to the gate of Trost. Along with the soldiers of the Garrison Regiment. The Scout Regiment will take over from the gate of Trost. This information is still strictly confidential. None of you will speak to the normal citizens about the upcoming recapture. All team leads will meet back here in one hour." With that, Erwin's speech ended and he left the canteen with Mike.

Levi looked around searchingly. His own team were whispering excitedly to each other. Hanji just sat there shaking her head incessantly. "Where is she?" But then he felt her gaze. Ayumi was sitting on the other side. Three rows behind him. She waved at him briefly. But when she opened her mouth, a jet of blood gushed out.

Screaming, Levi tore his eyes open. Gasping, he looked around. He was sitting at his desk. His chair fell over as he rushed to the window and pulled it open. At the same time he fumbled on his shirt buttons and undid the top two. He felt the cold night air at his sweaty face. Greedily he breathed in the fresh air. He had had that nightmare again. Out of the corner of his eye, he made out two shadows running from building to building, apparently looking for something or someone. "Ayumi?," Levi thought sadly. How quickly can a beautiful dream become fragile? They had got married. They had spent a few carefree days in their own home. They had made plans for the future. And the next second they had been confronted with the recapture. Although ... Levi shook his head.

"You knew that?" He had looked at her, bewildered. "Since when?"

"Since you came back. From your inspection of the wall. Erwin told me," Ayumi had replied. She hadn't dared to look at him.

"What?," he had shouted. "Is that the reason you married me? Because we won't live much longer?"

"What?," she had screamed back in horror. As he tried to rush out of the bedroom, she had held him. "We said from the beginning that we wouldn't talk about work and the Scout Regiment. Besides, Erwin told me that in confidence. And these fucking plans of a recapture with normal citizens in case the wall is lost have existed for years." Her voice had cracked.

Levi had tried to get calm. "I'll tell him. Erwin."

"What?"

"That we're married. And then you pack your belongings and get out of here," Levi had explained.

"What? We agreed to keep our marriage to ourselves for now."

Levi had just shaken his head. "The situation has changed."