33. "Where did it start to went wrong?"

At the last moment, Little Cloudy decided not to fly through the open window, but to take a seat on the windowsill. There were bottles lying on the floor. Empty. The air from the room smelled different. It did not move. It was standing. Little Cloudy tilted his head. He looked at his foster father, who was sitting at a small wooden table, lost in thoughts, staring at a pile of papers in front of him. Steve did not respond to the sounds that Little Cloudy made. While his foster father finally reached for a pen and signed the top document, Little Cloudy turned around with a jump. He wanted to leave, flying to the stable.

On his way there, he landed on Chagara's windowsill. The window was now closed. Chagara was also sitting at her wooden table. In front of a single document. This morning at sunrise, she had still been lying in bed with the window open. Little Cloudy had heard all their voices. His foster father had entered the room, swaying slightly, followed by Ron and a nurse.

"What are you doing here?," Levi had asked without taking his eyes off Chagara.

"Someone has to take care of her injuries," Steve replied, stepping closer.

"And who's going to do that? You?," it came cynically from Levi's mouth.

"Yes," was the brief reply. But when Steve tried to touch the sleeping girl, Levi slapped his hand away.

The young nurse, who had already taken care of Jimmy's wounds yesterday, hugged the doctor's bag to her chest, frightened. They always said Levi Heichou was not to be messed with.

"Levi Heichou," Ron began quietly. "Steve's a doctor."

But Levi didn't trust the words.

"Really," Ron tried again. "He was a doctor and then he became a soldier."

Finally Levi grabbed the back of his chair and tidied up his sleeping space.

"And what are you doing here?," he asked Ron as Steve removed the bandages from Chagara's feet.

Ron clenched his free hand into a fist. He had to control himself not to respond to Levi's provocative behaviour. "We mustn't make a mistake now. Don't attract attention. Otherwise it is indeed over. We must all hand in our written resignation from the Scout Regiment. And wait for Commander Erwin's decision. If he has all our written resignations due to disobedience in front of him, he will certainly not assume that we are still keeping quite a few incidents away from him. So we show him that we are not hiding anything. And be careful what you say. We will certainly be questioned. Several times. By different people." This had been Steve's speech, slurred by alcohol, before sunrise.

"I'm already gone," Ron replied, placing the document for Chagara's resignation on the wooden table and leaving the room.

"That goes for you too, Levi Heichou. Get out of the room," Steve ordered.

Hesitantly, Levi obeyed the doctor's order. "What's the deal with this document?," he pondered as he closed the door behind him. "What are they up to now?," he wondered as he headed for Erwin's room.

Chagara didn't respond to Little Cloudy's sounds either. Like Steve, she reached for a pen and signed the document. So Little Cloudy sailed to the stable entrance. He probably had to organise his own breakfast. While he was walking through the corridor looking for mice, he heard Ron sobbing. He was sitting in the box with Paul's horse. "Who ever thought you idiot couldn't save yourself? If only I hadn't been too far away. But I thought I could still help Thomas." Ron wiped with his hand over his eyes. "I wonder if you'd still be alive if I'd been near you. If I had jumped into the Titan's mouth like Chagara. Why did you only let go of her hand? Would you have held on a little longer. Just a little bit. I would have been there to help to get you out. I would have pulled you out of there!" Ron hit the wall.