CHR5/CH4-A Tardy Guest, and Guy Learns a Lesson

Under the ever watchful eye of Aunt Gwyneth, (even though she was a mite busy with the arrangements for the upcoming party), there were no untoward lapses of moral rectitude to be observed between Persephone and the Master and Mistress of the house. Auriel was dutiful in her physical improvements, the children continued to be amused by the guest of the house, and Guy was as attentive as ever to his sweet darling, regardless of who should see, as was his usual habit.

Bunting and festive lanterns were dragged from their boxes in the barn, musicians were engaged and remunerated, invitations were sent, acceptance of the same were notified, and the great baking endeavour begun.

On two occasions Guy's services as parry man were called upon, and, despite his efforts, he was at first bested in a sword fight by Persephone which caused him no little embarrassment.

"It was the balance, " said Guy, when his wife sought to comfort his hurt pride, " it has been sometime since I hefted this sword, and she caught me off guard, but she'll not find me as easy to overcome, now that I see the way of her. There are weaknesses there, and I will use them to my best advantage."

True to his word, and with no little effort on the part of his comely and well muscled opponent, he then trounced her soundly, and somewhat overly enjoyed the victory.

To the cheers of his fair lady, and all of his children, it being not a school day, he bowed low over the hand of Persephone, and wished her better fortune should they repeat the exercise at a future date.

"You are chivalrous indeed Guy of Gisborne," she said, her eyes flashing as she cast her eyes over his leather clad body. "You wear armour the like of which I have not seen before, it fits you well, and doubtless your wife's breeches were fashioned to the same design."

" My good lady and I are two parts of the same whole," said Guy firmly but very softly, " and it will take more than your suggestive wiles to tempt either of us into your bed. I thank you for the service with which you are about to assist this family, but there is nothing here for you in respect of your other interests."

"I thank you for your honesty Sir," she said, "I shall now offer you the same. I will lay down my life for your good lady should it be required, and I am also a woman of my word. I'll not trespass on the sanctity of your marriage unless invited."

"We understand each other then. " said Guy.

"Perfectly." she said."

The children, (with the exception of Gheraint, which was to be expected), were all eager to help when they were told of the forthcoming celebrations. They cared not for the reason, merely that there would be food, games and dancing.

Ghislaine declared at once that she had no dress suitable for the occasion, and then sulked for three days when she was told that there was no time for sewing, and that she would have to be content to choose from the many frilled and frivolous garments already contained in her dresser.

"But my hair Mama, who will dress my hair?" she wailed, "if my friends are to be invited, they will at the very least expect my hair to be properly dressed. If I am to be shamed by the wearing of an old rag, then at least allow me that. What if I should chance to meet the love of my life, he will think me a pauper!"

Of course Gheraint stubbornly refused to become involved with a celebration of any kind, stricken as he was with with a plague of youthful blemishes, which were well on the way to disguising him completely.

"He looks like a warty toad," said his twin, "best he stays in the house, lest he embarrass himself. There can be few young ladies who are willing to be seen with him, nor does he have the wit with which to entertain them."