CHR6/CH4-The Halfway Point and A Costly Rescue

After many a long mile of sterling and good natured service, Auriel's mount half threw a shoe, leaving it askew. There being a village nearby, she dismounted and walked the horse forwards lest it stumble and injure itself.

Though it was the Sabbath, when gold coin was offered, the local blacksmith allowed himself to be persuaded to open his forge and light its charcoal fire.

" 'Twil be an hour or so until the flames are sufficiently heated Mistress," he said, " 'tis  coming on dusk, and the tavern has rooms. It may suit you to bide here for the night. My youngest daughter is employed there and will heat water for a bath. You have travelled far by your dusty clothing, and your other mounts could do with a nights rest. What say you?"

Auriel looked at Persephone, whose face was like thunder.

"We have little choice than to spend the night here," she said, "there will be no fit horse hereabouts for me to purchase, and I am loth to leave my own. I confess the thought of a bath tempts me sorely, and hot food is an even greater inducement."

" Yet more delay," said Persephone disapprovingly, " this journey is costing me dear. With each day lost, the purse grows smaller, and profit dwindles. I shall sleep with my horse, you can do as you please."

" I shall cover the cost of your bed, food and bath," said Auriel, " it is my horse that needs shoeing, and I'll not see you lose by it."

As it turned out, there was only one room available to them as there was to be a market next day. It was small, but had a large tester bed, and the linens were clean. Though cramped, a wooden tub was supplied, and filled twice by the innkeepers strapping sons. For once Persephone's eyes were cast downwards because she knew there was little chance of intimacy in the room she was to share with Auriel.

"There will be other times," she said good naturedly, " and I am that weary of sitting a horse, a bath and bed will suffice. If we ask will they bring food here to us do you think, the thought of sitting about in fresh linens with a drumstick in my hand has great appeal."

After their baths, which they took in each other's company, nourishment was brought to them in the form of a beef stew with suet dumplings, duly followed by a blackberry syllabub, and accompanied by a robust red wine.

" I could grow much used to this," said Persephone, "what it is to be a rich farmer's wife."

"We are rich because of my husband's labour," said Auriel, "every coin is hard earned by the sweat of his brow. I was fortunate to sell property in Cornwall some time ago, and that gold allowed Guy to rebuild and repair."

"We may live in some comfort now, but it has not always been so. We have seen hard times. I believe that he thinks on occasion of his prior life in Nottingham, and his Knightly pursuits, but he assures me of his love and would not wish to be back there."

" He is a contented man," said Persephone, and Auriel was surprised at her words.

" It is his eyes, " she added, "when they fall upon you, they smile, I would wish such a life partner for myself, faithful and loving, I cling to the hope that there is someone for me out there, I just have to find him."

"I have convinced you then," said Auriel, smiling, " it has taken many days, but you believe me at last. A 'life partner', 'tis, a beautiful description. If you can, shall you marry, or live 'over the brush' as they say.

"A quaint description, but apt, " said Persephone, " I should be content with a love that is true, and a man who is faithful. As to the marriage, I will think on it. We are to share a bed then it seems, yet in friendship, it suits me well enough."