CHR9/CH5 - Indecision, and The Agony of Parting

Though both guests were made welcome, as the laws of hospitality demanded, their mission filled both Auriel and Guy with dread, but they waited patiently, as food and wine were taken.

They were fast friends with Merlin, though they saw him infrequently, but the other man remained a mysterious, though benign presence.

The mention of his brother and his family had plucked briefly at Guy's heartstrings, and he was eager to know more of their fate. It had been long years since they had met and exchanged the bitter words that had driven Guy, disinherited, from the family estates.

He had heard tell, that in the intervening years, his brother Kay may have had a change of heart in respect to his errant brother, as he had baptised his two sons Guy as their second given name. The knowledge of this familial gesture had caused Guy sorrowful thoughts at the time of hearing it.

When Merlin had rushed out his eager words at the door, Guy thought he had misheard, but the stricken look in his girl's eyes told him that he had not. It was a look of dread, at the thought of the loss of his presence, and a deep rooted fear of the Portal.

For long moments further mention of the time spinning spell retreated, lost in the babble of voices of those seeking to acquaint themselves with their honoured guests, but Auriel felt the first cold claw of loneliness, because she had fallen in love with, and then married, a man of honour,

There was no doubt in her mind, that if any member of his remaining family, even so far in the future, should need his help, then it would be unstintingly given. That this may mean long separation from his wife and
children would cause him great sorrow, but he would accept it without question.

No details as yet had been forthcoming, but when Merlin reached for his pipe, and set it gently smoking, Auriel knew that the time had come. Time to speak of her man's courage, and obligation to those of his family who needed it.

She saw again, the Knight in black leather that she had met in Nottingham, a sword and dagger suspended from his hips, and the magnificent horse upon which he had been seated.

She closed her eyes and smelt again the first scent of him, the scent that had drawn her to him, the same scent that he carried now, the scent that made her love him, desire him, lie with him, and willingly bear his children.

Stolen from his own time he may have been, but she knew he was content, and she had never doubted his love for her. He was happy to live in her world, happy to spend his life with her, and happy with his large brood of children, two so recently born, and the second twins with which he had endowed her.

" He will go from me," she said to herself, " back to his own time and Nottingham. How could he not? But dear God above, let him come back to me!"

Merlin cleared his throat by way of an introduction to his speech, and the room fell silent, save for Beatrice and little Guy, who were at their play in the parlour. Elizabeth had been gently dismissed upon her arrival, and had noted their distinguished visitors, though she could have no inkling as to their true identity.

She had been told they were distant relatives, come for a visit after many years separation, and she had accepted the explanation.

Of course, there was nothing to distinguish them from other men, save perhaps their mode of dress, but as Elizabeth had never travelled far from the place of her birth, these differences held no significance for her.

" If I am needed, then I shall come," she said kindly, " a day without the company of your children is a day wasted for me, but I shall not intrude upon a family reunion. If I bake, I will leave tasty pieces at the door, just know that I am nearby, and willing."