CHR7/CH4 - Thorin's Indiscretion, and a Decision on Courting

When Guy was dressed, the tub was emptied, then refilled for whomever should require it next. Hand in hand the two of them, Guy of Gisborne, and his loving, dutiful wife, walked across the yard and into the kitchen, where Thorin was seated at table in close conversation with Aunt Gwyneth.

Auriel remembered the first time she had seen them seated so, and the brief, though passionate attachment which had followed, though she knew that there had never been lasting love between them. At their feet the two boys, so alike but with differing parentage, played with Beatrice. She with a straw dolly, and they with a piece of leftover dough. There was only the one small rolling pin, but they did not squabble over it, one waiting patiently for the other, to relinquish it in their favour.

To see the two boys together, and to see Beatrice so accepting of it, was a joy. Thorin looked up as his friend appeared, and smiled at the beautiful woman alongside him.

" You look a mite cleaner than when I last saw you my old friend," he said, "are you are well rested? It is good to know that the bathhouse built by my dwarven comrades is still in such frequent use, and in a fine state of repair I have been told. I will avail myself of it now if I may."

" We have cleaned and refilled it," said Auriel, " and there are drying cloths over the pipes to warm. If you bathe swiftly, there will be breakfast, though it may well be called dinner it is so close to noon. Whichever, it will be hot, and there is fresh bread. Pray take care that you are not seen by any about the farm."

Then she looked around, " is there no sign of Edmund?" she asked, " does he still sleep? should I rouse him? for he may also seek a bath before we break bread together."

Aunt Gwyneth flushed at the mention of her recently arrived old friend, and said that Edmund had been up when she rose at seven, even clearing the ashes, relaying and relighting the kitchen fire, after filling the two log baskets.

" 'Twas not I who lit the fire in the bathhouse," she said, " we broke our fast together, and then he went to bathe when he knew the water would be hot. He is off somewhere walking, but made mention of returning for supper. He took bread, cheese and ale along with him."

"He says that breathing the air above ground is intoxicating and he asked that I accompany him, but I said that I was needed here to get the children off to the Priory."

All this she said in quite a dispassionate manner, though Auriel noted that the flush to her face had deepened as she spoke further of her friend. Unanswered questions hung in the air, but were not voiced, though curiosity almost overcame Auriel's efforts for silence and tact.

Thorin interjected, as if to fill the silence, when he said that he greatly looked forward to the older children returning from their schooling, so that he may reacquaint himself with the twins, and meet Simeon and Abigail for the very first time.

" Our children are also eager to see you," said Auriel, " they asked to be spared their lessons today so as to greet you when you awakened, but of course, I did not allow it, because once granted, the wish would be oft repeated, and they would likely be more to home than at the Priory. The Brothers would not thank us for any lessening of the provender we give in exchange for their teachings."

Because Edmund was unlikely to arrive before supper, Guy went off to find his stockmen, and the two lads Gethin and Ewan who had managed the farm in his short absence. His faith in them was firm, he trusted in their abilities, and any decisions they made as to the good of the farm and its beasts. He looked in at the dairy, to see Glenys turning cheeses, and they exchanged a few words regarding the health of the few animals requiring her care, and, as always, he was reassured by her calming replies.