CHR12/CH5 - A Fulfilment of Wishes

Elinor settled well into the Gisborne Farm, and the family which dwelt in some comfort within its walls, though at barely three years old, and with a small girl's grasp of life and its sorrows, any such change as brought food, love and a warm bed was easily accepted.

Whilst she had occasional periods of quiet contemplation, she showed a love of life which lifted the spirits of those around her, and her sweet laughter was a joy to hear.

She was most especially fond of Gwyneth and Edmund, who delighted in her company. She also favoured Simeon as playmate whenever the opportunity arose, and he had finished any daily chores as had been allotted to him.

That Edmund and Simeon were blessed with the same golden hair seemed to influence her choice, and Guy thought that perhaps the child had close kin with the same rich colouring.

Whilst Auriel was delighted with the little one who had come to them in such an unexpected fashion, she was concerned on the matter of Elinor living as one child amongst eight others, believing that Elinor doubtless lacked the time and attention that her tragic circumstance demanded, though she seemed not to show any signs of outward sadness.

" It is in her," said Guy, " and it will out as she grows, perhaps she will speak of it, as she surely must, or it will fester and grow large in her mind. If none come for her, we must discuss what is best."

" Should we keep silent, or speak to her of what has passed, she is but a babe still, and we may do her harm if we question her. But we must decide, how can we keep from her that she is not born to us, what if our own little ones in their innocence should reveal how she came to us?"

Edmund spoke then, though he was not a man to oppress others with his opinions.

"We must ensure that any who come are known to her, " he said, " we cannot allow her to go with strangers who may seek her out for purposes other than kinship."

" Many will have lost children of their own, and feel the need for a little one, possibly alone in the world."

Of course, Gwyneth agreed with him soundly.

" We must seek advice on the lawfulness of keeping her in this family, should she have no one living to take her. Though God alone knows how long we should wait, or when this dread sickness will release its grim hold on our land and it's people."

She shook her head before continuing sadly.

" And what of the dead and dying, we see only black smoke in the far distance, and there is a stench of death in the air. There has been no communing between folk of the magical realm for many weeks, and I wake every morning with the same question on my lips, how many are taken?"

" We have kept ourselves separate from others, but can this self- imposed isolation have kept us free of it, or does our magic protect us? Dear God when shall we see an end to it? Hell must be empty just now, for all the devils are here!"

" We sit here at this table whilst the children of this house sleep soundly above us, along with a little one who may be sought by her kin. How shall we keep our distance from any who may come for her, and how shall we let her go to those who may carry death to this farm?"

" So many questions my love" said Edmund softly, " how can we know the answers you seek when no word has come? We can only bide here with patience, and trust that God will keep us safe."

He placed his arms about her and held her tight to his heart, but she would not be comforted. A steadfast woman as a rule, and courageous, but how could one fight an unseen foe?

If magic could not bring an end to it, she wondered, then what hope was there for humanity, no matter their race or creed.

The parlour was quiet after Gwyneth and Edmund had spoken. The hearth burned bright, but it brought no cheer, only despondent thoughts to those who sat within its warm glow.