Epilogue/CH3

Over the next few days, there was much talk of the recent nuptials, especially around the farmhouse kitchen table. A place where memories had been oft discussed, a practice that would assuredly continue.

Gowns had been wrapped and put aside, and at last the remaining food from the wedding breakfast had been eaten, to the delight of all.

Guy declared that perhaps a rabbit pie would not go amiss after so many days of cold fare involving the remains of the wedding feast, and was rewarded with a gentle slap from Aunt Gwyneth, though there was more teasing than spite in her actions.

There was wine and ale remaining, but with the number of folk dwelling at the house, this would doubtless disappear down tired and parched  throats with no further delay.

The ale was in less abundant supply, and was quickly disposed of by the menfolk after their day's toil around the farm.

Gheraint was now allowed a small measure of ale each day, but generally refused it, premarking on the bitter taste.

Glenys could oft be relied upon to furnish a goodly supply of her cheese scones, despite having two young ones to care for.

She was ay aware that her baking was much favoured by her Master, as were her ever present healing skills with any beast that might be ailing about the farm.

It was time for the last beef breeding season, and Hector performed his duty with steadfastness and alacrity. There were now many of his progeny in the district, his services having been bought and paid for many times by any who could afford the fee.

The family coffers were being slowly but surely replenished, and Guy allowed himself to hope that there was a turn in his fortunes.

Hector's reputation as stud bull was now very well established, and it was hoped by those at the Gisborne farm that this would continue for some years to come.

Over the course of a month it was established that all but two of the heifers were in calf, and as a result the remaining two were covered again.

Guy now sought a shepherd for the care of his sheep, their numbers being so great, but with the lack of another cottage, the position remained unfilled.

Several likely men of experience had come to the farm, but had been deterred by the lack of accommodation, most of them having a family which included several offspring, who would need a roof over their heads as the year turned toward autumn, and winter loomed on the horizon.

Auriel and Glenys toiled daily in the dairy, along with a girl named Marian who came from the village each day, and who had proved to be a more than able dairymaid. She was quiet and diligent, but not of a loquacious nature.

In the past there had been two such girls, sister to each other, both biding with Glenys at the cottage, but the two of them taken husbands, and returned to the place from which they had come. The place where their drunken father now lay dying, full of remorse for his negligent treatment of his girls.

This shortfall in conversation from their helpmeet went unnoticed as Glenys and Auriel talked endlessly on their husbands, their children, their household tasks, and their work about the farm.

Events took an unexpected turn when Ewan declared his wish to court the girl, much against the wishes of his mother Elizabeth, who stated that the family were a mite lowly, and the head of the household steeped more in idleness than honest endeavour. But her warnings fell upon deaf ears.

Each day when her work in the dairy was completed, Marian, who by now had brightened somewhat in her demeanour, stood by the gate to await the arrival of Ewan, who would accompany her to her home.