Epilogue/CH6

They reached the home of Rebus and his family after nine days on the road, two days less than was expected. They had spent two of those nights at an Inn due to Guy's foresight in the matter of accommodation, and then during the days on the road they were fully protected by the covered wagons of his own design.

When a suitable stopping place was found, it was simply a matter of lighting a fire, with wood cut the previous evening by either Tudor or Madoc. This was replenished nightly, and stored on the cart containing foodstuffs, so as to be dry when required.

It was a simple matter then for Auriel and Gwyneth to take what was required for the supper from the cart laden with supplies, which might include any fresh game that was successfully hunted and remained fit to eat.

Whilst it was common in those times for a fowl to be hung for several days before eating, not many in the party favoured the practice. There was also the danger from wolves, who might follow the scent of such meat, or indeed any other carnivorous creature seeking easy prey.

The children, whilst at their play, were instructed never to lose sight of the fire, and to always stay within each others company. Wild boar were oft heard in the distance, but none came near.

A hungry wolf might steal away a lone child, but might be deterred by the noise of several together. A wild boar, when disturbed would attack if cornered, and might kill those it saw as aggressor.

The woods were picturesque but never devoid of danger, and the land was unfamiliar to those whose travelled its rough paths.

That they arrived at their first destination in safety was a great relief to those who were aware of these perils. Added to these was the risk of thieves and brigands, who might plunder and murder for the smallest reward, let alone a well horsed cavalcade of travellers and their many  possessions.

There were many abroad who had fallen on hard times, and were totally without conscience because of it. On the road just the day before the travellers had come upon a wagon burnt almost in its entirety, and the body of whomsoever had owned it close by.

The tracks of many feet had been noted around the desperate sight, but the perpetrators had long since departed, no doubt laden down with the spoils of another man's labour. Gwyneth was quick to cover the eyes of the little ones, who had chosen that very day to ride with her. Guy and Edmund quickly interred the sorry remains, uttering a hasty prayer when the sad task was completed.

Auriel expressed sadness that the remains went nameless to their grave, but was reassured, and somewhat surprised, when her eldest daughter reminded her of the text from Psalm 147, "God is greater than our heart, and he knows all."

The entry of the covered carts onto the lands owned by Rebus, evinced a heartfelt response. As they passed through the East Gate, Auriel espied her brother away in the distance, and quickly left her position on the cart to run toward him. Her loving onslaught almost took his legs from under him, but he quickly righted himself to return her embrace.

At his side stood his son Eleric, now five years old, and as yet entirely unfamiliar to the Gisborne family. He had inherited his father's auburn hair, and he so resembled little Guy Gisborne that they may have been brothers rather than cousins. Auriel bent low to the boy, and he stepped willingly into her outstretched arms, which caused her first to weep, and then shout out with joy.

" He has our boy's face!"she shouted to Guy, who was watching events unfold with a benevolent smile, thinking to himself that only a mother such as Auriel would word it so, enthralled as she was by their first  meeting.

" By God," he said to himself, " she would be a mother to all if it should ever be required."

In the paved courtyard of the not insubstantial dwelling, many underlings had appeared, very similar in their dress, and all equally willing to assist in the handling of the many wooden chests and leathern bags, which disappeared quickly to the upper reaches of the house.