CHR12/CH6 - Journey's End?

In all, the pestilence ravaged the land and it's people for nigh on a twelve month, but the Gisborne Farm remained a safe haven for all those who called it home.

All strangers had been refused entry, from when word of the sickness was first heard, and a standing watch was kept at the gate, the five menfolk taking turn and turnabout, both by night and by day.

All were well armed at such times, and in sight of the farmhouse, with a brass bell to hand with which to sound the alarm, should any person attempt to seek entrance by force.

Only four times during those tragic months was the bell heard, twice for beggars asking for alms, but they were kept at a fair distance, before being sent swiftly on their way, with bread, ale, and any other provender that could be spared.

Some owed their very lives to the Gisborne family, for none were ever refused.

The third time was for Elinor, who had wandered sobbing up the lane alone, some twelve months past, and was now a much adored member of the family, none of her kinfolk having claimed her as yet.

She had so far made no mention of any kin that she may have, be they living or dead, but her very immaturity precluded the detail. Despite the anguish she had displayed on her arrival, she proved a happy and delightful child, welcomed by those she now thought of as her family.

"'Tis as if she has always been with us," said Auriel, " and to see two golden haired children at our table is a joy. Neither was born to us, but are equally loved. I recall that I said there would be no more children after our smaller twin babe's arrival, but God has seen fit to bless us in another way."

" She is indeed a blessing ," said Guy, " should any of her kin come looking, I would be hard pressed to give her up. We must endeavour to remember that she is not our child, but I confess she has a firm place in my heart."

Edmund was quick to agree, for Elinor ay favoured him with her presence.

" She fills my days with such joy and innocence," he said, " even Gwyneth, who has raised so many of her own, says that she will be much missed if taken from us, and little Guy will surely miss his small bedmate."

" She shares his bed, even though Papa has fashioned her own," said Ghislaine, " Mama places her in it each night, but when morning comes, we all know where she will be found. It is doubtless because we are two sets of twins in this house, and she feel the need to be one of a pair herself."

Guy smiled to himself, for his elder girl was ever wise in her assumptions, and was seldom wrong when airing her views.

For Auriel, life at the farm soon resumed its easy routine, though the house was at times a little overfilled with children. More foodstuffs became available, as folks took their courage in their hands and ventured out, and Llanlivet Market, though a mite smaller than was usual, soon picked up its pace, and commerce was possible once more.

Lessons at the Priory had yet to resume, most of the holy brothers having ventured out into the world to give succour to those stricken with the sickness. Word had it that some had not yet returned, and that there was concern over their well-being.

Edmund struggled manfully on in his tutoring of Ghislaine, Gheraint and Abigail, but his teachings were informal at best, and spoke more of his life's experience than any formal or structured learning.

He had a great love of nature, taking all of its creatures to heart, and would oft times been seen striding out, with a long straggling line of children in his wake, which generally included all of the Gisborne offspring, because mischief loves company, and there was mischief aplenty.