CHR8/CH1 - The 'Gifting' and a Gift

Speaking to their two sons on the subject so earnestly discussed, proved to be unexpectedly simple. As simple as the surety of love that every Gisborne child felt from their Mama and Papa. There had been times it is true, when one or other parent had been absent for a while, but there had never been doubt in that parent's eventual return.

Such was the trust that these children felt, that any and all of them would accept without question, a request, or even a demand. In short if Mama or Papa wished it, then it would be done.

Despite this familial respect, and acceptance, Guy and Auriel felt that detailed explanations were due, wanting to state clearly the reasons for, and against, the 'gifting' of their magic.

Gheraint had always had knowledge of magic, his twin sister was born with it, and he was not. He had never sought to gain it, because he was, quite simply, unaware that there was a way in which he could receive it.

There had been occasions when he had been a mite jealous of his sister's talents of enchantment, most especially when he had fallen from the great oak forbidden to him by his father, and had become crippled by his injuries.

At the time of the tragic accident, both Guy and Auriel had been aware that if their twin boy had been born with the same talents, that he could have saved himself by the simple slowing of his rate of fall.

Fortunately the affliction of paralysis had been temporary, cured almost in an instant when he had needed to assist Glenys in the delivery of her first child. He had lain in his bed for long months, believing that he would not walk again, and refusing even to try, until the day that necessity had required it.

He had delivered the child on the bare boards of the parlour floor with efficiency and gentle care, ably instructed by the expectant mother, before helping the mother and newly born child into his own bed. He had then walked to the kitchen to warm soup, clad only in a nightgown, and it was here that his father had found him.

He had related the news, smiling all the while, standing strong on his legs. The legs that Glenys had continued to massage each day, because she had remained convinced that he would walk again.

"There is a baby girl in my bed Papa," he had said, " and I helped bring it, Glenys is hungry, so I am warming the soup, can you slice the bread, because Mama does not allow us to touch the knife."

When he learned of his 'gifting', he shrugged his shoulders and smiled, and his smile spoke of his joy. As his Mama explained the reasons for it, his smile turned to understanding, and the embrace that followed was heartfelt.

To tell your child that he may live to be one hundred and fifty years old or more, enjoy good health, and father many children, was a task to be handled with care. Unlike his sister Ghislaine, he was innocent in his outlook, despite having helped a mother deliver her child.

He lived on a farm, he was aware of the cycle of life, and the manner of its beginning, but not it's intimate detail.

It had already been agreed that his Papa, though unwillingly, would speak to him on the subject of what his sister called 'Papa's nonsense', though how he was to go about it remained unclear in his mind. His hesitance had been viewed with great amusement by his wife and eldest daughter.

The knowledge that he would also have to pass on this very same knowledge to his younger son Simeon filled him with dread.

But first of course, the boy would also have to be told of his own 'gifting' and the fact that he knew little of the world of magic would make the task hard, though he readily accepted with innocence any use of magic in his presence, whether visible or partially hidden.