11 || Dimmed Stars

Even with your eyes closed, you knew that the fallen leaves from that oak tree would sway towards you. The wind caressed your right cheek, and since you laid on the left side of the tree, then some of the leaves would fall on top of your body. You wrinkled your nose when one of it grazed your face, but your eyes were still close as you slowly let the rustling of the bushes and trees sing you a lullaby.

"This is a good place to sleep."

You heard footsteps coming in closer to you, and without opening your eyes, you already knew who it was from the gentle voice that came tumbling down from their lips. "But the night is cold here, you shouldn't stay too long, (Y/n)."

"You are such a worrywart, Marco."

A small chuckle answered your retort, and you felt the weight of his presence by your side. That was when you decided to open up your eyes, and your lips immediately curled into a smile when you looked at how peaceful he looked right now. "It's so serene here, right?"

Looking down, he imitated your smile and nodded, enjoying the way it felt like time stopped when the two of you were here. He didn't lay down though, he just sat beside you with his legs stretched forward. Even though he never showed it, you knew that he felt as beat as any other cadet.

You met Marco Bott in a hand-to-hand combat with him as your opponent. He was calculating your every move, and he was willing to learn anything from as many people as he could. At first, you didn't want to befriend these island devils, but knowing him had become an escape that you needed, something that kept you sane even after knowing how many people died because of you and the warriors.

He had a dream to serve the king, and with how his skills and passion exceeded a lot of people, you thought it would be nice if you maintain a connection with him. Of course it was for the purpose of the mission, but getting to know him every day, meeting his other friends and practising with them — you purely wanted him to be your friend.

"Don't you feel the grass pricking your head when you lay down?"

"No? I think my skin is thick enough not to feel it."

Despite joking around, it seemed that Marco believed in you completely. He slowly lay on his back, winching a little when he felt the pointy grass tickling his cheek. But you just looked so comfortable, so he wanted to try it out. After moving around and getting to the most comfortable position, he finally smiled and looked up, now understood why you love to be here at night.

"Oh—" Turning your face, you looked at how much in awe he was as he looked at the skies. "The stars, it's so visible here." You let out a small chuckle before whirling your body around, now laying on your chest as your eyes never left him.

"But you know, I see stars every day, even when it's daytime." Your exclamation seemed to pique his interest, and those light brown orbs lit up even in the dim of light. "Here." You pointed at his cheeks where freckles were so prominent there. "There's a lot of stars here."

Blinking his eyes, it took him around three seconds before he realized what you meant, and he immediately backed away as if trying to hide the way his face flushed with a pinkish hue. "What? Why are you pulling away from me?!" You let out a boisterous laugh as your friend tried to blurt some coherent words.

"Y-You! (Y/n), you are such a tease!" At his remarks, you could only laugh harder that your stomach churn a little at that. You rarely teased him, but you had so much fun every time you did it. His lips jutted into a pout, and you just cooed at him before he stood up. "L-Let's just get back to the barracks, Instructor Shadis will have our head if he finds us here."