36 || House on the Prairie

"Should I call you your highness too from now on?"

You nudged Mikasa by her waist, eliciting a shade of red in her pale cheeks. The bloodline she had was finally revealed as Hizuru came to aid Paradis to advance the country. A shogunate clan called Azumabito, and your friend was the last descendant of them in this nation. The only hope Hizuru had — they said.

There were tears in Miss Kiyomi's eyes when Mikasa revealed the tattoo her mother left for her. It was the only genuine emotion you could find from the visitors, while the other help she offered was mostly out of desperation. Her proposition, the way she wanted to monopoly the iceburst stone, you wanted to snort at the meeting since they were not even trying to hide their intention.

Right now, you tried not to think too much about it as the two of you were strolling up the hill in Wall Maria. Queen Historia had deployed so many people to work on restoring the outer wall, sending families and citizens back there. And unlike years ago, the ones who lived here wouldn't have to be afraid of becoming titans fodder anymore.

There were three new houses near the tree at the top of the hill. The one that you heard from Mikasa was the spot she always ran to with Armin and Eren by her side when they were kids. She told you how Eren was always the winner, and you understood ‌she must have been not giving it her all, letting the brunette's chest swell with pride every time.

And there was Armin. He could have run, but he mostly jogged. Knowing he would never be the winner anyway, so he settled on the back by enjoying what the world offered to him. Mikasa said that he was always in his own world, catching up to them with a toothy-grin smile as he tried to catch the falling leaves from the surrounding trees.

What an adorable sight. You still recalled the innocent smile on his face from six years ago. How warm his eyes were and how welcoming his gesture had always been, so naïve compared to his two best friends.

"Which one is yours, and which once belonged to Armin and Eren?" After climbing up the hill and reaching the infamous tree, you were greeted with a moorland. Short grass stretched far to the wall and beyond, with wild sunflowers sticking up out of nowhere.

Not too far from you stood three newly built wooden houses. Something different from the past architecture Paradis had before, and it was thanks to Onyankopon. He shared not only information regarding war, formations, or the military forces from Marley. The man was kind enough to share more, even something as ordinary as buildings.

A bungalow — that was the word you remembered from him. Unlike any ordinary cabin in the woods, this one had wide verandas where people can sit and enjoy the outdoor area. It would be a shame, he said, if someone lived in an area as beautiful and fresh as this but couldn't bask in it.

That was the reason you immediately gave the floor plan to Historia when you heard she was going to get the three heroes a little gift.

"Mine is the one in the middle." She pointed at the house with a swinging chair. "Eren is the one near the tree, while Armin is on the other side." You let out a hum of acknowledgement, somehow feeling so happy to know they would have a house on their own. A place to call home. "I told Historia that there was no need to build three houses."

Raising one of your eyebrows, your eyes darted towards Mikasa, who was now hiding half of her face with the iconic red scarf around her neck. "Two would suffice."

It came out as a mumble, but you could hear it clearly with how quiet the place was. You understood what she meant by that, and you were so close to letting out a giggle, maybe even teasing her about it. But you decided to keep it for yourself, only wrapping one arm around her instead as you let her blush and relished whatever imagination she had right now.