14 || Worthy Life

From the time you arrived at the headquarters, you knew that something was going on. What the commander said last night and how his eyes pierced into the crowd, he was trying to find the culprit of the titans' experiment murderer. That man was sharp, but you and the other warriors were one step ahead of him.

You heard from the senior soldier that there would be a change of schedule in the Survey Corps. Usually, the new members would be given field training on their first day. But once the morning came, each one of them was taught about the long-distance scouting formation that Commander Erwin had devised.

For hours, you were waiting until Squad Leader Ness mentioned Eren's whereabouts in the formation, but his name never once slipped from the man's lips, making you groan internally since it would be harder to get Eren without taking too many casualties. And since it wasn't possible to know where the brunette was, for now, Annie had to be the one who wiped up those soldiers until he was found.

"Something on your mind?" Your brows were furrowed the whole time from thinking, but his delicate voice was enough to ease you down. "Is it about the upcoming mission?"

"Exactly." Turning around, you faced your lover as he was taking out his horse from the stable since it was time for them to join the rest of the Survey Corps on the old headquarters. "I wonder why they never mention where Eren would be."

You were not scared if anyone heard the conversation since you and Bertolt were always subtle and chose the words carefully. "Eren is important, he is practically someone that has to be safe, shouldn't we know where he is going to be so if something happens we can go straight to where he is?"

"About that," Your lover was now having the same questioning look on his face, still trying to figure out the plan that the Survey Corps devised for the next expedition. "Maybe because of trust." He gently led the horse out and joined you towards the middle ground where the rest of your friends were waiting, and when you could see Sasha waving at you, you knew that there was no time to discuss it.

"Trust." You repeated Bertolt's last word, nodding at him before you mounted your horse and beckoned him to follow you. "Eyebrow man is sharp, I swear." And that was the last thing you said to him before you galloped your horse to the middle ground, smiling at Sasha as you put yourself back to your role here.

You understood what your lover meant. Commander Erwin must have been trying to lure the culprit out with this expedition. So you and the other warriors had to be careful of what you said to each other, and you believed that the man had eyes and ears everywhere.

The sun was starting to set, and you wished you could arrive at the old headquarters before nighttime, not liking it if you had to travel around when it was dark outside. Right now, your eyes were fixated on the Squad Leader at the front of the formation with your mind still going astray for the next plan.

One month from now, all the members of the Survey Corps, including the recruits, would initiate the 57th expedition. Bertolt, Reiner, and of course, you had to gather as much intel in those days, and it had to be fast since it would be hard to contact Annie if there was not enough time.

You straighten your posture now when your eyes catch sight of the old building, the group was slowing down since the destination was already around the corner. There were vines all over the castle, and you were pretty sure it used to be a majestic one if it wasn't abandoned for years.

The place had an oddly comforting ambience, something that made you feel like you were right where you belong (despite knowing that you were not supposed to feel this way on this island). All the new members were gathered in one place after they tied each of their horses on the stable, and it was finally time for them to receive their new uniform.