27 || Fleeting Moments

"Are you two lovers?"

You blinked. Once, twice, as you were trying to process what Squad Leader Hange just asked you. One moment they were talking about the possibility of titan's involvement in the Reiss estate that caused the stone chapel to be ruined.

And now that random question was suddenly tossed into the air, making you baffled. "I mean, you and Jean Kirstein?"

"They are not."

Your lips parted, ready to retort, and said things about how he was like a brother to you. But a voice coming from the front seat beat you up to it. "If I am not mistaken, Jean had his eyes set for someone else." You wanted to thank Armin for his backup, appreciating how he answered for you when you were tongue-tied. "And (Y/n) is Bertolt's lover."

"Bertolt? Bertolt Hoover?" However, his next sentence made you feel depleted.

You bit your inner lips at the way Hange and Captain Levi had their eyes fixated on you as if questioning why the blonde used present tense instead of past tense. "Oh, I remembered now. That's the main reason ‌you stayed with us on top of the wall during the last mission, right?"

"Yes, Squad Leader Hange."

"Hange is alright."

Silence overtook once again, and you could only fiddle with the pendant in front of your chest as you occupied your mind with something else. Your friends were questioning the status of the relationship you had with a certain someone. It was prominent in their eyes.

But none of them was brave enough to ask why you kept holding on to it. "Do you still like him?"

Except for them, apparently.

"Pardon?" You were a bit flabbergasted, not knowing the proper answer. Yes, you liked to be with him. He was the anchor that made sure you didn't drift apart from the other warriors. "I—Yes. Despite how he turned out to be the colossal titan, I understood him more than just a weapon for the enemy."

But you need to be careful when saying it out loud. "He was like us, human beings who needed to fight for their life." Your voice gradually became smaller, eyes cast down since you didn't want to catch sight of any judgmental look.

Mikasa had her attention solely on you, lips slightly pursed since she recalled the moment when she demanded you to let her kill Bertolt. Your words. Sometimes she wondered if maybe you knew about him being a threat to humanity. And she knew she wasn't the only one who noticed it.

Both the captain and squad leader had their eyebrows raised at your last words, trying to decipher the underlined meaning.

"Oh, I see. I see." There was this little nervousness in the older brunette as they fixed their glasses. "Sorry if I crossed any line, that's not my intention." You gave them a nod of reassurement, meaning they didn't offend you at all before turning your attention somewhere else.

No one said anything afterwards and somehow it made Hange uneasy since the atmosphere went blue.

From the first time they met you, there was something that made them feel ‌you were some kind of enigma. After everything you had been through, no sane person could have a heart as pure as yours. They knew that you often got overprotective of your friends, and you lost so much in the last couple of weeks.

Yet you were still standing here, without once breaking down or showing any hesitancy.

Levi told them ‌you didn't think twice when he ordered you to kill humans. He even said your movement looked like you were born for it, to be a weapon of some sort, and they both wondered how come you were not in the top ten of the Cadet Corps. That made it more intriguing to learn about you, added with how the reason you fought here was still vague.