32 || Heroes of the Walls

The waves collided with each other and became a reminder for him. As he stood on the shoreline of an unknown territory, whether or not he liked it, it would be a place to say goodbye. His dark orbs fell upon the tiny figure of his daughter, his little baby, as she talked with commander Magath once more for the last briefing. Those warm eyes never left your figure.

He thought he would be ready. After all, he prepared you to be the best lady in the world. Not only with mannerism and vast knowledge, but also with endurance training and many other top-notch skills that differentiate you from all aristocrats. Then again, it was just hard knowing the path you chose was going to be full of obstacles, and he could only wait for the time when you came back home. If you ever did.

His lips curled into a soft smile, complementing his mature, chiselled face once you turned around and faced him. You? His little star had her lips curled into a permanent, wide grin. It was as if you knew ‌he would need it. It was as if you knew he was reluctant to let you go for the past few weeks once this day was around the corner.

"Are you sure there are no other things you need?"

"Papa, don't worry." The fine lines on his face became more prominent now with how he creased his eyebrows. "I already checked it twice last night, and everything is there. Clothes, food, a penknife in case I need to transform in dire times." Eyes prevailed with concern, as his little star would be taken far away from him. "I am going to be fine, pa. Promise."

You were so small compared to him, so precious, and he asked himself so many times if it was the right thing to do. To let his precious daughter board the ships with a one-way ticket in her hand. He could have let you stay here in Marley, only inherit the war hammer titan later on near his sister's end years. Maybe having a normal life, at least longer than a quarter-century.

But the moment you brought him the restricted leather journal with curiosities and justice in your eyes, it was impossible for him to keep you by his side forever. Not when you knew something the rest of the world didn't. Not when you always wanted to show the world how Subjects of Ymir, too, were people.

"How can I not be worried, my little star?" He kneeled right in front of you, not minding how his suits wrinkled and smeared with sand. "You are my daughter." His eyes bore into yours, wanting to see you clearly as he memorised the minor details on your face. "My warrior." Because at that moment, he was afraid it would be the last time he saw you.

"Pa!" You looked surprised for a second there, the smile you had before now replaced with a small frown. "I told you not to cry!"

"Am I?" He chuckled underneath his breath at your cuteness. The baritone voice sounded so warm as it flowed in the air. "I am sorry, ah, where is my composure when I need one?" Closing his eyes, he was expecting your usual, gentle gesture you always did when he cried.

Your finger felt calloused, something that reminded him of how hard you work for years. It gently wiped the tears from the corner of his eyes, making sure there was not even a drop left. He was someone with high status, knew how to let his guard up and maintain his appearance in the public. But not now. He just wanted you to see your father with no walls built so high.

At this moment, he wasn't Willy Tybur, the great descendant of the Tybur family who brought victory for humanities in the Great Titan War. He was just a man, a father who loved his daughter with all his heart could offer.

"I need to go now, pa." Once you were down wiping the tears away, he opened up his eyes only to take another look at you. "The others wait for me." He couldn't help himself. The smile he had slightly wavered as he gave you a reluctant nod. And to your surprise, he pulled you into his embrace, covering your whole body with his as yet another dam broke. "Pa..."