Chapter 7

Liam

The other day with Mel was incredible. We got to spend half the day together without anyone else tagging along. We talked, laughed, and shared a few interesting moments- brushing elbows at the theater and staring at one another longingly.

At least, that's the feeling I got when she looked into my eyes at the end of our day. The sparkle in her eyes, the hesitation, it seemed very longing to me. Though, that may just be wishful thinking on my part. I know what I want with Mel, but what she wants is still up for debate.

The subtle changes in our relationship lately tell me she may be open to the idea of something other than friendship. I just don't want to assume anything and feel like a fool if I'm wrong. And I'm not exactly sure how to breach the topic with her without sounding pushy.

That's the last thing I want to do- push Mel into something too soon. If anything does happen between Mel and me, I want it to happen naturally, when she's ready.

I'm in the kitchen, putting together some lunch when Tay walks in. "Hey, Liam. How's it going?"

I look up from the stove, acknowledging her with a head bob. "Hey, Tay. I'm good. You on lunch?"

She nods as she sets her work bag on the couch. As she walks toward the kitchen, T.J. emerges from their bathroom. As soon as he sees her, he smiles.

Within seconds, he sweeps her into his arms in a loving embrace. "Hey, baby."

Tay's smile matches his as she leans into him, letting his lips graze her cheek. "Hey, love."

I look away as T.J. nuzzles against her neck. "Mmm. I've missed you."

Tay's soft giggle escapes her mouth as she replies, "It's only been a few hours."

T.J. groans. "A few hours too long."

I hold back my snicker as I flip over my chicken. He is so whipped.

Before I can stop myself, I glance up at the two lovers, still locked in their embrace. It's as if they're the only ones in the world. They're facing one another, foreheads touching, breathing softly as they hold each other. When their eyes open seconds later, they meet with such tenderness and love. It's something I never thought possible coming from T.J.- not until he met Tay.

I look away as their lips come together. After several seconds, I hear them exchange a few more words before T.J. begrudgingly says he's leaving to meet up with Rob and Drew for lunch. He tells her he'll miss her and gathers her in his arms for another passionate lip-lock.

"I love you, baby," he tells her, pecking her lips again.

"I love you, too."

I avert my eyes until T.J. gives me a quick goodbye as he heads out the door. As soon as the door shuts behind him, I draw my attention back to my food. A small, sad smile creeps over my lips.

What those two have is special. It's what I want for myself. What they have, I want with Mel.

I hear one of the barstools slide across the floor as Tay grabs a seat. When I look up at her, she's staring at me sheepishly.

I quirk an eyebrow at her. "What?"

One corner of her mouth lifts. "Sorry for all the PDA."

I can't help but chuckle at her words. "It's alright, Tay, really. I know you two are still on cloud nine after his last doctor's appointment."

She nods, looking down at her lap as her sheepish look morphs into a soft smile. "Yeah. That was the best news since they cleared him to return to the game. Still, though, we try not to be so blatant about it."