Chapter 22

Mel

It's our last night on the island, our last night here in paradise before going back to the real world. Needless to say, I'm not ready to go back. I love it here; it's like living out a fairy tale where everything ends in happily ever after.

I'm scared that when we leave- when we go back to the city- things won't be as free and easy as they are here. So much has happened in the short time that we've been here- things between Liam and me, in particular- and I don't know how going back home will change that, if at all.

Part of me thinks that going home will magically lift the spell the island seems to have cast on everyone. That same part keeps telling me that I shouldn't get my hopes up, that this is all just a dream, and once we step foot off the island, everything will go back to the way it was before.

I don't think I want it to. The things that I've been feeling and the thoughts that keep crossing my mind aren't just fleeting details. They're something more, something I think I'd like to pursue.

We had our last dinner here a few hours ago. Afterward, the four of us hung out for a while by the pool, soaking in every last bit of paradise that we could, musing about how amazing everything had been. When Tay and I started yawning, we decided to call it a night. Tay and T.J. went back to their room, wishing Liam and me a good night as the two of us headed to our own.

The two of us hadn't been alone since the night after our kayak adventure. That night, we curled up on opposite sides of my bed, watching some random rom-com that had just started.

Our conversation was limited, mostly revolving around trivial questions- if he wanted a drink or if I needed a blanket. Outside of those topics, very little was said. It felt like neither of us knew quite what to say or how to bring up something more serious- like the shift that's been slowly happening in our relationship.

I wanted to bring it up with every look, every shy glance. The thick clouds of doubt hovering over me kept me from saying anything. Maybe I was starting to like him more, but what if he didn't feel the same? His actions lately tell me otherwise, but still...

What if I've been reading him wrong? What if he's just being an incredible friend?

Friend.

Ug, that word keeps holding me back. I'm not sure I'm ready to jump off the friend train and into something serious just yet, even though my feelings are growing more and more incessant. What I'm feeling is certainly something more than friendly toward Liam, especially lately.

I was stewing over that the entire duration of the movie, letting myself steal quick peeks at the man lying next to me from time to time. More than once, I caught him watching me when I did so. The look in his eyes seemed to mirror what I was feeling- cautious, confused, scared.

I thought by the end of the night, something might happen- something that would tell me for sure what I should do next. Hell, I was hoping he'd do something that would spell it out and give me the answers I so desperately needed.

Our eyes met when the credits rolled, and I could have sworn I felt a spark ignite. We stared at one another for several minutes before he broke the spell, saying it was getting late and he should head back to his room. At that, I was more than a little disappointed. I wasn't ready for our time to end.

I walked with him to the door, telling him I had a good time and mentioning we should do it again sometime. He agreed, pulling my door open. Then, he hesitated. Liam looked torn as he turned to face me, one lip held between his teeth as an internal debate raged within him.

I watched and waited until he finally started leaning down, closer and closer. Our faces were only inches apart as he kept moving, his lips nearing mine. I stopped breathing, waiting for the moment when our mouths would connect. My eyes fluttered closed. Then I felt it; his lips lightly touched the side of my mouth, barely grazing the corner of my lips.

Too soon, it was over, and he'd said goodnight as he turned to walk away. I was stunned and hesitant as I debated pulling him back to claim the kiss I craved. When I came out of my stupor, he was already gone.

I'd lost my chance.

I didn't want a repeat of that. So tonight, as we walked to our rooms, I tried to work up the nerve to ask him for a nightcap before we reached our doors. It never came. Before I knew it, I was alone, standing on my balcony in my pajama shorts and a tank top, listening as the waves crashed against the shore.

I sighed as the warm island breeze kissed my face. Our last night here, and I was suddenly wide awake, wishing I wasn't alone as I looked up at the stars above.

Another warm breeze brushes past, and I close my eyes, reveling in the feeling of the island's soft caress. A sound to my left catches my attention. When I open my eyes, I see Liam in all his shirtless glory, leaning on the rails of his balcony.

My head tilts to one side as I study him. His eyes are closed, and though his face looks peaceful, there's a tiny hint of sadness marring his beautiful features.

I wonder why...

Before I can stop myself, a breathy sigh comes creeping from my mouth. Liam heard- his eyes snap open as he turns his head in my direction. When those gorgeous greens land on me, he smiles, walking closer to my balcony.

Quietly, he asks, "Trouble sleeping?"

I nod. "I don't think I'm ready to give this all up yet."

His smile softens. "Yeah. I get that."

A sudden burst of confidence sears through me. "Do you want some company?"

He looks surprised at my offer but slowly nods his head.

Before I can change my mind, I slip on my sandals and grab my keycard as I head to Liam's room. I find him waiting, holding his door open for me as I enter the hallway. I slip past him, hoping my courage lasts a while.

I open my mouth to speak, but he beats me to it. "Do you want to go back outside? The stars are out, and it's still warm."

Grateful for his suggestion, I smile as I reach for his hand, which he quickly places in mine. I lead him out to his balcony, where I spot a double lounger topped with several pillows and a blanket. We settle in, nestling into the cushions as he spreads the blanket over us.

Not wanting to stare at him, I look up to the sky. "It's so beautiful out here."

"Yes, it is."

The tone of his voice draws my attention back to him. When I look at him again, he's admiring me- almost as though his words weren't meant for the view surrounding us but for me.

He was talking about me.

My throat bobs as Liam keeps his eyes fixed on me- the look inside them growing more intense the longer we stare. I feel the weight of his arm on my shoulders, and my pulse quickens.

"Mel."

"Liam?"

His smoldering look hasn't been extinguished. "Can I kiss you?"

The word comes out so soft; I hardly think he heard it. "Yes."

I lean into his touch as his free hand caresses my cheek, his eyes never leaving mine. Ever so slowly, his lips close the gap between us.

The kiss is slow and sweet. I can feel the silkiness of his lips as they brush mine, over and over again. Mine start to move against his, begging for more as my hands glide up his bare chest.

A soft moan escapes his lips before he pulls back, letting his thumb stroke my cheek down to my lips. He gives me a look that conveys everything- he wants more, but we have time, no need to rush. I tip my chin down slightly, letting him know his message was understood. Then once more, he places a soft kiss on my lips before laying back on the lounger.

He pulls me close with his arm still wrapped securely around my shoulders. I let myself curl around him, my head resting on his chest, my legs intertwined with his, and my hand splayed across his abdomen.

That's where we stayed for the rest of the night, letting the warm air surround us as our hearts beat in unison. The perfect way to spend our last night here. A perfect gift from the island.