Chapter 43

Liam

I used to tell myself that hockey was all I needed to be happy. As long as I had the game, nothing in the world could bring me down. Now I realize how much I would have missed out on if I let myself keep up with that charade.

If I had ignored all my feelings for Mel and let myself be the forever bachelor, I wouldn't have experienced all the joy she brings to my life. Had I not opened myself up to new possibilities and let go of my guilt for falling for the girl my best friend always loved, I would have regretted it.

Mel and I have taken our relationship to new levels, and I don't just mean physically. Some nights we'll just lay in bed, talking about the future, our hopes, and dreams. We can talk for hours on end and not get tired of it.

I've shared things with her that I've never told anyone- things I never thought I'd say aloud. And she's listened to every word without an ounce of judgment. She's the first person I see when I wake up and the last thing I see before falling asleep each night.

It's hard to believe she's mine. Sometimes even after everything we've been through, it still feels like a dream. I fell for her years ago, and I'm still falling to this day. I know I'm finally free to tell her that, but a small part of me wants to hear her say it first.

Call it chivalry, call it fear, call it whatever you want. When I say those words, it'll be because I finally know that I've made Mel as happy as she makes me. When that time comes, it'll be because she's ready. It will be because I've made her feel safe, loved, and truly happy.

I always tell her I'd never pressure her into anything. This is no different. I won't say the words unless I know she's ready to hear them. So, I'll wait however long it takes. I know she's worth the wait.

"What's got you smiling like that this morning?" I hear Mel's sexy sleepy voice filter through my ears.

I turn my attention to her as she lays in my arms, her hair splayed around her with a lazy smile on her lips. "You, Mel. Always you."

A hint of pink appears on her cheeks as she takes my compliment, letting her eyes roam my face as she continues to wake up. "How are you always so sweet?" She asks, running her hands up my chest.

I pull her closer, placing soft kisses on her face as I answer, "I'm always this sweet for you, Mel, because you deserve nothing less."

I didn't mean for my words to lead to anything more, but I wasn't going to deny my girl when she pulled me on top of her and started making demands. After all, when it comes to her, I aim to please. And if her cries were any indication, I did my job well.

~

Tonight, we have a big game against Calgary. We've been looking forward to it all week, especially since we found out who the newest member of their team is- Tatum Charles. Apparently, they didn't care about his shit reputation and let him join the team after he got kicked from Florida.

It'll be the first time we've seen him since last season and his behavior back then is still fresh in our minds. He doesn't just dish out dirty hits on the ice; he thinks it's okay to taunt our girls through the glass. And that's one thing we have zero tolerance for.

It's one thing to talk shit to us or target us on the ice, but it's a whole other story when it comes to our ladies. I doubt Charles has changed much since we last played him, so I'm sure he'll be up to his same old shit. I just wonder which one of us will get the first piece of him.