Chapter 12

Liam

These last few weeks have been interesting, to say the least. So much has shifted between Mel and me. We've been toeing the line of friendship and romance more than ever, and I think I'm finally starting to see how she feels about me.

Ever since the night of Lindsey's bachelorette party, the air around Mel and me seemed supercharged. It's like one move is all it would take to set off an explosion of passion. I think Tay's noticed too. Whenever Mel and I start to set off sparks, Tay tries to give us space.

She did that yesterday. When we were all eating breakfast, Mel and I both reached for the pitcher of orange juice simultaneously. Our hands grazed, and I could hear Mel's breathing hitch. I saw Tay look our way and smile. Soon after, she whispered in T.J.'s ear before they disappeared, leaving Mel and me alone in the kitchen.

As soon as it registered that Tay and T.J. were gone, the heat between us only amplified. Our hands were still touching, and I could see the yearning in her eyes. I felt myself leaning toward her, inching closer and closer. I was just centimeters away from her lips when I saw her hesitation.

So, I pulled back, and she removed her hand from the pitcher. I gave her a kind smile and filled her glass, trying to act like nothing had happened. She seemed to relax slightly after that. I spent the rest of the day thinking of how I almost kissed her, how I should have, how I wanted to.

My feelings for her are only growing, and if I'm right, hers are too. She's just not ready yet. I have a feeling that she may be soon, though, if yesterday was any indication.

Who knows, maybe something will happen in Aruba.

The thought makes me smile as I continue packing my bag for the trip. The day has finally come. We're all getting ready to leave tomorrow for Chase and Lindsey's wedding. We'll arrive just in time to settle in before the rehearsal. Then, the following day is the big one. It's the day my little sister marries my best friend.

I really couldn't be happier for them.

After that, the lovebirds will be starting their honeymoon, and the rest of us will start our vacation. Tay, T.J., Mel, and I decided to stay a few extra days after the wedding to enjoy the sand and sun.

A few days with no obligations and hanging out with Mel in a bikini. Yeah, that sounds like the perfect vacation to me.

I feel my mouth widen at the thought. I start to lose myself in daydreams of what may happen. I'm so tuned in to my fantasy that I don't hear the knock on my door or the sound of someone calling my name.

I'm suddenly jerked back to reality when someone places a small hand on my arm. I quickly pull my arm away, letting out a startled grunt. When I regain my composure, I see Mel standing next to me, trying not to laugh.

I clear my throat, attempting to play off what just happened. "Sup, Mel?"

She drops her hands from her mouth, her lips still trapped between her teeth as she tries not to laugh at my expense. She takes a minute to relax her face before speaking.

An airy chuckle escapes her lips as she looks at me. "I was just going to let you know we're ordering dinner. So, if you have a second, come take a look at the menu and let us know what to get you."

I nod. My mouth opens as I go to reply, but I stop when I look into Mel's eyes. I'm stunned into silence as I stare into her ocean orbs.

She hasn't moved from her spot in my room. I don't want her to. Before I can say anything, she smiles lightly. "So... What were you daydreaming about a minute ago?"

She would ask that...

I drag my fingers through my hair as I formulate my response.

"I, uh, I was just thinking about how much fun we're all going to have in Aruba."

Not a complete lie. Just omitting some details.

I hear Mel's melodic laugh as she processes my reply. "You mean, hanging out on the beach with dozens of scantily clad women?"

Just you.

My eyes widen as I try to decipher if those words escaped my lips. I look at Mel. She's staring at me with the same look as before.

Okay, thank goodness. I didn't say that out loud.

I shake my head, debating what I should say. "The beach, yes. Dozens of scantily clad women, no. I'm mostly looking forward to spending more time with you."

Well, Liam, there's no coming back from that. Hope she doesn't spook at your confession.

I cringe internally as I realize what I may have just done. I really hope I didn't just shoot myself in the foot right now with Mel by telling her that.

She's quiet as I study her reaction. Her eyes widened a bit, but she doesn't look scared. She looks... Intrigued?

I see her bottom lip curl into her mouth as a new look starts to form in her eyes.

Is that lus-

I'm interrupted as T.J. pokes his head into my room. "Hey, you guys figure out what you want?"

Damn it.

I clear my throat, drawing T.J.'s attention to me. "Uh, we were just about to come out to look through the menu."

T.J. nods, oblivious to the sexual tension rising in the room between Mel and me. "Cool. Menu is open on the computer, just add what you want to the cart and hit order. My card is already loaded into the payment info."

After he leaves, Mel shoots me a shy look before exiting right behind him.

The rest of the night passes like that- with bashful looks exchanged between Mel and me as our roommates entertain themselves with looks of their own. After dinner, we all vote on a movie and curl up on our spots on the couch.

Tay and T.J. are cuddling on one couch while Mel and I share the one adjacent. They aren't paying attention to the movie, and if I'm being honest, neither am I. I keep looking over at Mel, several times finding her looking right back at me. She blushes and looks away quickly when she catches me, only to look my way again seconds later.

This continues for more than half of the movie when suddenly, I feel something small and warm touch my hand. When I look down, I see Mel's hand resting right next to mine on the couch. Her small finger is settled against mine. I look from our hands to her face and see a smile tugging at one side of her lips.

Feeling flirty, I move my finger so it's gently caressing hers. I hear her breath catch in her throat before the speed of her breathing increases with my actions.

She's enjoying this.

For the rest of the film, I continue lightly running my fingers over Mel's, needing to feel her on my skin. She doesn't move or push me away. She sits there, reveling in my ministrations. I glanced at her face a few times, noting that her eyes were closed and her mouth slightly parted as I touched her hand, floating my fingertips over her skin gently.

Too soon, the movie comes to an end. The lovebirds quickly say goodnight and rush to their bedroom, leaving Mel and me alone once again.

I try to think of what to say to her, but she stands from her spot before I get the chance. "Goodnight, Liam," she tells me quietly.

"Goodnight, Mel."

I watch as she hurries to her room, stopping just before she opens her door. She turns to look at me, gracing me with another shy smile before entering her room.

I can't stop the happiness that decorates my face as I walk to my room. I stop just outside Mel's door, smiling at the thought of her inside, before going to my bedroom. Inside, I fling myself onto the bed, replaying what happened tonight over and over with a wide grin on my lips.

I can't wait to see what happens in Aruba.