Chapter 10

Mel

I know I'm still dreaming when I open my eyes and feel a warm body curled up around me. His heavy arm resting lazily on top of my waist, hands splayed across my stomach. I look down at the hand I've seen so many times before in this same situation.

Justin always made me feel safe and warm. In his arms, nothing could ever hurt me. I relish in the memory of his touch, hoping not to wake any time soon. It's a small comfort, one I miss so dearly since I lost him.

I roll over, risking waking myself from this dream so that I can get a look at his handsome face again. To my amazement, I manage to turn completely over, now facing his sculpted chest. I smile as I take in his body.

Then I notice it; the dream has changed him some. The scar on his ribs from when he fell out of a tree- it's no longer there. And the shape of his muscles is different from what I remember.

Maybe my memories are losing some of their previous sharpness.

The thought makes me sad, I don't want to forget Justin, but sometimes dreams distort the details. I know there's one thing I'll never forget. I know I'll never forget his face, no matter how much time has passed. Seeing him look at me- the smile that curled on his lips, the sparkle in his eyes- that is one thing I know I'll remember forever.

Unable to wait any longer, I look up, needing to see Justin's face staring back at me again. Only, when I look up, it's not Justin's face I see watching me. It's Liam's.

What the-

My body jolts, forcing me to wake up. The shock causes me to sit upright in bed. I feel my chest rising and falling rapidly as my breathing tries to regulate. My heart feels like it may beat out of my chest.

It was just a dream, Mel. Just a dream.

It felt so real. And I thought I was dreaming of Justin. Seeing Liam's face, it becomes clear why the little details of Justin were wrong- it wasn't him at all. The whole time, I was dreaming of Liam.

I bury my face in my hands as I try to wade through the reality of what just happened.

Oh. My. God. I just had a dream of Liam and me sleeping together.

Yes, literally sleeping- nothing steamy happened. I think.

I don't exactly remember what happened earlier in the dream. I'm assuming nothing sexual happened since I don't remember it. I'd remember that part, right?

My body seems to be functioning normally again, finally. I'm breathing regularly, and my heart is no longer trying to escape its home in my chest. That being said, my mind is definitely not okay right now. I'm now more confused than ever.

I was so thrilled at the thought of seeing Justin again in my dream. Then, when I turned around and instead saw Liam, it felt...

Good? Exciting?

The millisecond before I woke up, I remember how I felt. I remember the thought that ran through my mind. I was excited to see Liam's face in my bed, holding me close, looking at me with those loving eyes. And the thought that ran through my brain- I wanted something more to happen.

I wanted him.

I let that sink in for a moment before falling back down to the bed.

Holy shit.

I'm trying to reason with myself about what the dream may or may not mean when someone knocks on my door.

I sit up, pulling my comforter tighter to my chest. "Come in!"