Chapter 9

Liam

After my talk with Tay, I'm still conflicted about what I should do about my situation with Mel. I know Tay is right- I need to be patient and move only as fast as Mel is willing and ready to. It's just hard not to act on what I'm feeling when my entire being is calling out, telling me to get closer, to touch her, to tell her what I'm feeling.

I know if anything happens with Mel, it will all be worth the wait. The waiting, though, that's the hard part. And with the current timing, it's especially difficult. I don't have practice or games to distract me from everything going on inside my head.

My only saving grace is the upcoming wedding between Chase and Lindsey. The big day is getting closer, and luckily the lovebirds are providing some distraction from my frustrating predicament.

The wedding will be in Aruba, but pre-wedding festivities, such as the bachelor and bachelorette parties, will be held here in New York before we leave. These two events have taken up most of the conversation in our group lately. For that, I'm very grateful. It's given me something to fill my mind other than my taunting thoughts regarding Mel.

Chase and Lins want a small ceremony, very intimate, with only close friends and family on the guest list. Chase asked T.J. and me to be his groomsmen, and Lins asked Tay and Mel to be her bridesmaids. They decided to forego the tradition of appointing a best man and maid of honor, reasoning that they couldn't decide which of their best friends should fill the roles.

So, the tasks that would typically be handed over to the best man are now being handled by T.J. and me. Likewise, Taylor and Mel will share the maid of honor tasks equally.

The current task on our plates, you ask- planning the bachelor and bachelorette parties. The girls disappeared a while ago to meet up with Lins. So, while they are away, Chase invited me, T.J., and the rest of the guys on the team over for some long overdue guy time.

I'm kicked back on one of the couches in Chase's living room, sipping a beer while Rob and Drew argue over who took home the better-looking girl last night. I can't help but laugh as I listen to them. I look over at Chase and see he's doing the same as our teammates bicker back and forth.

T.J. grabs the empty chair next to me as he opens his fresh beer bottle. "Those two still arguing?"

I nod in response as Chase answers, "Yep. They've been going at it for twenty minutes now."

T.J. rolls his eyes. "Unbelievable."

Chase laughs as he sets down his drink. "Didn't you use to do that kind of shit before? Comparing conquests and all that?"

I see T.J.'s head snap in Chase's direction. "Hey! I never did that shit when I moved here."

I share a look with Chase, unable to hold back my smirk. "Yeah, only because you met Tay your first day visiting the complex. If it hadn't been for that, you'd probably be over there arguing alongside those two."

A smile curls on T.J.'s lips at my words. After a minute, he replies, "Yeah, thank God for that day."

His smile widens as he looks down at his drink. "One of the best days of my life."

The tiniest bit of envy starts to creep into my veins. He and Tay are some of the lucky ones, finding their love match and getting to spend their days and nights together. They don't have to worry about being alone. No, they'll always have each other.

My thoughts are quickly interrupted as Rob and Drew finally stop arguing. Now, they've turned their attention to T.J. "Ohhhh, shit! Look, he's off in la-la land again." Rob smacks Damien's arm, pointing to my smiling roommate.